[Fast-Neutrons] Congrats! Re: First fast neutron images at Phoenix

Burkhard Schillinger Burkhard.Schillinger at frm2.tum.de
Mon Nov 18 08:41:01 CET 2019

Hello Michael,

congratulations for these nice images!
For a fast neutron image, that resolution is pretty good. Probably
better than ours - which shows that a high collimation is also
important for fast neutrons if you have large samples.

I am also surprised again by your thermal image at L/D of only 35 -
but that's what you get when you can put the samples up close to the
detector.

For an edge - about everything scatters fast neutrons, but I have
tried with a 10 mm thick polyethylen pattern (Siemens Star) that was
3D printed at our lab. When putting it directly on the detector, it
was a good measure to test the screen. The 1.5 mm thickness screen was
much better than the 2.4 mm.
Not sure what really happens if you take it further away - I assume
that 10 mm thickness is a good compromise between attenuation and
scattering blur. You might try 10 mm steel as well, but iron is also a
diffuse scatterer.
A perfect edge does not exist.

Good luck with your new 'toys', and Happy Holidays!

Burkhard

--
Dr. Burkhard Schillinger
Technische Universität München - FRM II