US Scientific Facilities Initiative

Tom Worlton worlton at anpns1.pns.anl.gov
Thu Mar 16 17:12:01 CST 1995

The following was posted for Bruce Brown by Tom Worlton
The attached is a letter similar to ones that are being sent to the users of
the US DOE neutron and synchrotron sources.  This message is for information
only for non-US scientists, not a request for a letter.  US scientists are
urged to show their support for the initiative by sending letters to their
senators and/or congressmen.

To:     IPNS Users

I am pleased to report that President Clinton's Fiscal Year 1996 Budget
contains a $100M Scientific Facilities Initiative which could have a
significant positive impact on all the Department of Energy's Energy
Research user facilities, including IPNS.  In order to make this Initiative
a reality, however, we need your help urgently in the manner described at
the end of this letter.

The proposed Initiative increases budgets for operations, research and
capital equipment for the neutron and synchrotron user facilities funded by
Basic Energy Sciences (listed in the enclosed summary) as well as smaller
amounts for facilities such as microscope and materials preparation
centers.  With these increases, IPNS and the other facilities will be able
to function close to full time.  Capital equipment funds for upgrading the
facilities are also included, and will allow IPNS to upgrade its
accelerators and instrumentation.  In some cases, like the Advanced Photon
Source and the Advanced Light Source, instrumentation grants to
universities for beam line development would be provided.  As an IPNS user,
you would see a doubling of the amount of beam time we could provide each
year.  We would also be able to upgrade beam lines and instrumentation.
The goal of this initiative is to add these funds to our base funding, so
that the increase would be seen in years beyond FY 1996.

This Initiative results, in part, from cooperative efforts of BES facility
directors, in coordination with DOE and OMB staff.  There was also some
linkage with the High Energy Physics, Nuclear Physics and Basic Energy
Sciences facilities and, of course, the corresponding DOE leadership.  The
allocation of funds to specific facilities was done by DOE itself, based on
information provided by the facilities.  The facility directors believe
that the Department of Energy has budgeted these funds in a careful and
thoughtful manner.

A great deal must happen, however, before the Initiative is funded.  It
must get the support of the authorizing and appropriating committees of
both Congressional houses.  The initial responses have been quite good,
with bipartisan support likely.  These committees, however, will be obliged
to make difficult decisions as they seek to decrease the deficit. Their
decisions will be based, in part, by their perceptions of how valuable the
facilities are to you, their users.

I very much hope that you will support the Initiative by writing letters on
its behalf to members of each of the relevant Congressional subcommittees
(whose memberships are listed below).  That is done most effectively by
writing to members from your own state.  If there is no member from your
state on a subcommittee, the subcommittee chair is the appropriate
recipient.  The letters should contain the following:

(A)     A brief description of the type of research you perform which is
        comprehensible by an intelligent non-scientist,

(B)     An indication of which facilities you use,

(C)     A careful statement of why those facilities are important for your
        research, and

(D)     A statement of why increased beam time and/or better instrumentation is
        important for your research.

I urge you to support the entire Initiative, in addition to IPNS
specifically, in your letters. You have seen the impact of under-funding on
IPNS; the consequences are similar at the other facilities.  It is the
clear recognition that there is a generic problem which has allowed this
Initiative to survive several reviews in a tight budget year.  All through
the review chain, it has been felt that full-time and well-instrumented
operation of facilities in which the government has made very large capital
investments is a most efficient way to help a broad spectrum of science and
technology.

Let me thank you in advance for taking the time to write the letters.  It
would be most helpful if you sent me a blind copy of your letter.  Your
reward, we all hope, will be increased beam time and more effective
operation in FY 1996 and the years which follow.

        Yours sincerely,

        Bruce S. Brown
        IPNS Division Director

Enclosures:
Sample Letter
Rosters of Congressional subcommittees

INITIATIVE FUNDING

Operations and Research Funds

Light Sources   ($K)

SSRL  (Stanford)        4,354
ALS  (LBL)      7,609
APS  (ANL)      5,000
NSLS  (BNL)     4,845

Neutron Sources ($K)

IPNS  (ANL)     4,184
HFBR  (BNL)     4,000
HFIR  (ORNL)    5,816
LANSCE  (LANL)  3,015

Capital Equipment, GPP, and AIP

Light Sources   ($K)

SSRL  (Stanford)        1,000
ALS  (LBL)      4,000
NSLS  (BNL)     2,800

Neutron Sources ($K)

IPNS  (ANL)     1,000
HFBR  (BNL)     1,525
HFIR  (ORNL)       270
LANSCE  (LANL)  1,000

ARGONNE NATIONAL LABORATORY
9700 South Cass Avenue, Argonne, Illinois 60439-4814
IPNS FAX (708) 252-4163

Sample Letter
FOR HOUSE:
The Honorable <name>
United States House of Representatives
xxx <name> House Office Building
Washington, DC 205xx-xxxx

Dear Representative <name>:

FOR SENATE:
Senator <name>
United States Senate
xxx <name> Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 205xx-xxxx

Dear Senator <name>:

Letter Text: ***personalize your letter - but you might consider something
like the following to begin and end ***

I am writing to you in your capacity as a member of the <give appropriate
committee> to support the Scientific Facilities Initiative which appears in
President Clinton's budget for the Office of Energy Research of the
Department of Energy.  Then include:

i.      A brief description of the type of research you perform which is
        comprehensible by an intelligent non-scientist,

ii.     An indication of which facilities you use,

iii.    A careful statement of why those facilities are important for your
        research, and

iv.     A statement of why increased beam time and/or better
        instrumentation is important for your research.

Then close with something like the following:

In closing, I urge you to help support this important cause and hope you
can encourage your fellow Committee members and Chairman <name> to do so as
well. Thank you very much for your help, your time and your consideration.

Sincerely yours,
<your name and title>

HOUSE COMMITTEE ON SCIENCE

Subcommittee on Energy and Environment

Republicans

Dana Rohrabacher (CA) - Chair
2338 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-2415

Harris W. Fawell (IL)
2159 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-3515

Curt Weldon (PA)
2452 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-3807
202/225-2011

Roscoe G. Bartlett (MD)
322 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-2006
202/225-2721

Zach Wamp (TN)
423 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-4203
202/225-3271

Lindsey Graham (SC)
1429 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-4003
202/225-5301

Matt Salmon (AZ)
115 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-0301
202/225-2635

Thomas M. Davis, III (VA)
415 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-4611
202/225-1492

Steve Largent (OK)
410 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-3601
202/225-2211

Barbara Cubin (WY)
1114 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-5001
202/225-2311

Mark Foley (FL)
506 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-0916
202/225-5792

Steven H. Schiff (NM)
2404 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-6316

Bill Baker (CA)
1724 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-0510
202/225-1880

Vernon J. Ehlers (MI)
1717 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-3831

Steve Stockman (TX)
417 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-4309
202/225-6565

Robert S. Walker (PA) - ex-officio
2369 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-3816
202/225-2411

Democrats

James A. Hayes (LA) - RDM
2432 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-1807
202/225-2031

David Minge (MN)
1415 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-2331

John W. Olver (MA)
1027 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-5335

Mike Ward (KY)
1032 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-1703
202/225-5401

Michael F. Doyle (PA)
1218 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-3818
202/225-2135

Tim Roemer (IN)
407 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-3915

Bud Cramer (AL)
236 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-4801

James A. Barcia (MI)
1410 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-8171

Paul McHale (PA)
217 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-6411

Eddie Bernice Johnson (TX)
1123 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-8885

Lynn N. Rivers (MI)
1116 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-2213
202/225-6261

Karen McCarthy (MO)
1232 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-2505
202/225-4535

George E. Brown, Jr. (CA) - ex-officio
2300 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-0542
202/225-6161

HOUSE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE

Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development

Republicans

John T. Myers (IN) - Chair
2372 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-1407
202/225-5805

Harold Rogers (KY)
2468 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-1705
202/225-4601

Joseph Knollenberg (MI)
1221 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515
202/225-5802

Frank D. Riggs (CA)
1714 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-0501
202/225-3311

Rodney P. Frelinghuysen (NJ)
514 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-3011
202/225-5034

Jim Bunn (OR)
1517 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-3705
202/225-5711

Democrats

Tom Bevill (AL) - ranking
2302 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-0104
202/225-4876

Vic Fazio (CA)
2113 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-0503
202/225-5716

Jim Chapman, Jr. (TX)
2417 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  20515-4301
202/225-3035

SENATE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE
Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development

Republicans

Pete V. Domenici
(NM) - Chair
SD-427 Dirksen
Senate Office
Building
Washington, DC
20510-3101
202/224-6621

Mark O. Hatfield
(OR)
SH-711 Hart
Senate Office
Building
Washington, DC
20510-3701
202/224-3753

Thad Cochran
(MS)
SR-326 Russell
Senate Office
Building
Washington, DC
20510-2402
202/224-5054

Slade Gorton
(WA)
SH-730 Hart
Senate Office
Building
Washington, DC
20510-4701
202/224-3441

Mitch McConnell,
Jr. (KY)
SR-120 Russell
Senate Office
Building
Washington, DC
20510-1702
202/224-2541

Robert F. Bennett
(UT)
SD-241 Dirksen
Senate Office
Building
Washington, DC
20510-4403
202/224-5444

Conrad Burns
(MT)
SD-183 Dirksen
Senate Office
Building
Washington, DC
20510-2603
202/224-2644

Democrats

J. Bennett Johnston (LA) - ranking
SH-136 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510-1802
202/224-5824

Robert C. Byrd (WV)
SH-311 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510-4801
202/224-3954

Ernest F. Hollings (SC)
SR-125 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510-4002
202/224-6121

Harry Reid (NV)
SH-324 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510-2803
202/224-3542

J. Robert Kerrey (NE)
SH-203 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510-2704
202/224-6551

Patty Murray (WA)
SH-302 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510-4704
202/224-2621

SENATE COMMITTEE ON ENERGY AND NATURAL
RESOURCES

Subcommittee on Energy Research and Development

Republicans

Pete V. Domenici (NM) - Chair
SD-427 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510-3101
202/224-6621

Conrad Burns (MT)
SD-183 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510-2603
202/224-2644

Larry E. Craig (ID)
SH-313 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510-1203
202/224-2752

Jon Kyl (AZ)
*SR-363 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510-0304
202/224-4521
*Temporary location.  Will move to SH-702
   HSOB March 1995.

Rod Grams (MN)
261 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510-2304