[Neutron] ESS Science Symposia - Reminder - Deadline 31 April

Axel Steuwer axel.steuwer at esss.se
Mon Apr 18 09:48:05 CEST 2011

Dear Colleagues

this is just a reminder to the ESS Science Symposia.

The ESS invites the European Neutron User Community to organise and host
a series of workshops under the series title "ESS Science Symposia" that
focus on the scientific opportunities and challenges for research with
neutrons at ESS. The ESS Science Symposia should focus on the science
that will be enabled by ESS's excellent neutron brilliance and novel
time structure. The workshops should discuss a specific community's
requirements for neutron scattering instrumentation as well as
supporting facilities, laboratories and sample environments. It is
encouraged that Symposia focus around scientific themes or areas as
opposed to types of instrumentation or particular techniques.

The ESS Science Symposia present an important opportunity to have a
direct say into the planning and construction of ESS and its science.

The outcome of these workshops in the form of a report will be presented
directly to the Science Advisory Council of ESS, as well as the general
meeting 'Science & Scientists' to be held between the 19-20 April 2012
in Berlin, and will have influence over the research landscape at ESS.

The ESS will contribute to the cost of the Symposia with a fixed sum of
12.5k EUR per workshop as well as assist where possible with logistics.
We invite applications to organize and host an ESS Science Symposium in
an area of science relevant to ESS.
Applications are accepted via email to ' symposia at esss.se
<mailto:symposia at esss.se>' no later than 31st of April 2011 (at
midnight) for Symposia in 2011.
We envisage to fund around 10 symposia between 2011 and 2012. There will
be a second call later in 2011 for Symposia to be held in 2012.

For more information and the documents, please consult also our website
http://www.esss.se/symposia

We look forward to many exciting proposals!
Best Regards

Axel Steuwer

Email: axel.steuwer at esss.se
Tel.: +46761333388