[Neutron] CALL FOR PROPOSALS CHRNS/NCNR

Hernandez, Yamali (Fed) yamali.hernandez at nist.gov
Thu Mar 21 16:44:39 CET 2019

CALL FOR PROPOSALS  [cid:image001.png at 01D4DFDB.76FD9870]   located at NIST

You are invited to apply for time on the neutron beam instruments at the Center for Resolution Neutron Scattering<https://www.nist.gov/ncnr/chrns> located at the NIST Center for Neutron Research.

The deadline for proposals is April 16th, 2019.

For details, please see our Web pages: http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/call/current_call.html.

PROPOSAL SUBMISSION

  *   To submit a proposal, you must have an account, or create one, on the Information Management System.  https://www-s.nist.gov/NCNR-IMS/login.do
  *   The description of research section must be uploaded as a pdf file no longer than 3 letter-size pages (including references), nor more than 1500 kb in file size.
  *   Please complete the Submit Visitor Registration Form if you submit a proposal and plan to subsequently visit NIST. https://www.ncnr.nist.gov/visitor/index.html
  *   We encourage users to work with an appropriate instrument scientist when planning experiments and writing proposals.  They are happy to assist you and will also help you register and submit your proposal.

The new CHRNS vSANS* instrument is now accepting proposals.  Please read the disclaimer near the bottom before applying for beamtime.

Instruments being offered by the Center for High Resolution Neutron Scattering<https://www.nist.gov/ncnr/chrns>

  *   CHRNS Small Angle Neutron Scattering Instrument – 30 m (SANS)
  *   CHRNS Ultra-Small Angle Neutron Scattering Instrument (uSANS)
  *   CHRNS High-Flux Backscattering Spectrometer (HFBS)
  *   CHRNS Neutron Spin-Echo Spectrometer (NSE)
  *   CHRNS Multi-Axis Crystal Spectrometer (MACS)
  *   CHRNS Very Small-Angle Neutron Scattering (vSANS)*

Additional instruments offered by NIST<https://www.nist.gov/ncnr/>

  *   Thermal Neutron Triple-Axis with Polarized Beam option (BT7)
  *   Disk-Chopper Spectrometer (DCS)
  *   MAGIK Off-Specular Reflectometer (MAGIK)
  *   Polarized Beam Reflectometer (PBR)
  *   Small Angle Neutron Scattering with Polarized Beam option (SANS) - 30 m (NG7)
  *   Neutron Imaging Facility (NIF)
  *   Powder Diffractometer (BT1)
Yamali Hernandez
yamali at nist.gov<mailto:yamali at nist.gov>
(301) 975-5295

* Currently, the new vSANS instrument works very well for SANS experiments. In other words, it covers essentially the same Q-range as our 30 m SANS machines. Unlike our other SANS instruments, vSANS has 2 detectors each with about 3 times the area of our old detectors allowing a wider Q-range in a single measurement. There are also 3 options for wavelength spread: 1% (λ = 0.475 nm), 13% (variable λ using a velocity selector), and 30% (λ ≈ 0.5 nm). Polarized beam and polarization analysis are also available. All SANS sample environments except the 9 T horizontal field magnet can be used on vSANS.

Note however, that we are experiencing background issues with the high-resolution detector and are not confidant that the extended low-Q range will be available in this proposal round. We are also still fixing a variety of small problems. Thus, we are offering 75 days instead of the eventual 90 so that time is available to complete commissioning. By applying for time, you are agreeing to help us by testing vSANS and providing feedback so that we can ensure reliable service in the future.