[Neutron] IMAT Instrument Scientist vacancy

Winfried Kockelmann - UKRI STFC winfried.kockelmann at stfc.ac.uk
Thu Apr 4 21:00:04 CEST 2019

We have vacancy for an instrument scientist for neutron imaging at the ISIS facility. Please forward this E-Mail to any person who might be interested.

Job Title: Instrument Scientist - Neutron Imaging (IMAT)
Reference: IRC248643
Full Time  -  Permanent
Location: STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Oxfordshire, UK
Follow link: http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc248643_9277.aspx

About Us:
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is a partner organisation within UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). UKRI is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
ISIS is a world leading facility for condensed matter research using neutron scattering, neutron imaging and muon spectroscopy, with a strong scientific user programme and extensive international links. It supports a national and international community of more than 2000 scientists for research into subjects across physics, chemistry, biology and materials science.
The ISIS Crystallography Group operates several world-class neutron instruments at ISIS (www.isis.stfc.ac.uk<http://www.isis.stfc.ac.uk>) among them the new and world-unique IMAT neutron tomography and diffraction instrument. We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join the Crystallography Group to help develop the materials science programme on IMAT at ISIS. We study numerous classes of materials, including engineering materials and biological systems, components for energy generation and energy storage, and earth science materials.
About the role:
The role will focus on supporting the user programme on IMAT and contributing to ongoing equipment development projects (for example, new sample environment devices). The successful candidate will be strongly encouraged to perform his/her own independent research programme in the field of neutron imaging and/or diffraction.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to develop a personal scientific programme and the successful candidate will be expected to actively seek new collaborations with university and industry partners.
Minimum qualification is a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in a material science/engineering, physical science, or related discipline. A strong background in imaging techniques using neutron or X-ray methods is essential. Applicants are expected to possess a solid scientific background in their relevant discipline. Experience in the use of central facilities and the proven ability to develop instrumentation and/or data analysis software would be an advantage. Candidates should possess excellent written and oral skills in English and must be able to work effectively both on their own and as part of a small team.
For an informal discussion about this role please contact: Dr Kockelmann (winfried.kockelmann at stfc.ac.uk<../../old/winfried.kockelmann at stfc.ac.uk>) or Stephen Hull (stephen.hull at stfc.ac.uk)
The closing date for applications is: 18th April 2019

We want to make our application process as easy for you as we possibly can. If you experience any problems in applying for this job, or have any feedback for us about the application process, please contact us on 01793 867003 (8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday).  Please quote the appropriate IRC reference number when calling.