[Neutron] ORNL Neutron Sciences Job Posting: Section Head, Neutron Technologies Engineering
turpinlm at ornl.gov
Thu Feb 4 18:11:45 CET 2021
Email a Friend: Section Head, Neutron Technologies Engineering
Link to Apply<https://career4.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=5008&company=utbattelleP>
Job Title: Section Head, Neutron Technologies Engineering
Requisition ID#: 5008
We are seeking a Section Head for Neutron Technologies Engineering in the Neutron Technologies Division of the Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD). The Neutron Technologies Division's mission is to develop and deploy critical technologies for instruments and target systems, to support operations in those areas and to execute projects in support of neutron sciences.
The mission of the Neutron Technologies Engineering Section is to develop, deploy and support neutron instrument and target systems with innovative engineering and technology. The section is split into 5 groups:
* Instrument Engineering: developing and deploying world-leading, reliable and safe neutron instruments to enable a world-class neutron science program
* Design Services: supporting neutron instruments and target systems with world-class mechanical design expertise and software product management
* Survey, Alignment & Metrology: deploying advanced surveying, alignment and measuring expertise to support instrument, target and accelerator engineering and operations
* Monolith Engineering & Manufacturing: developing, designing and supporting monolith components to deliver a reliable and high-performance neutron source, as well as supporting the procurement and fabrication of complex target system components
* Target Engineering: developing, designing and supporting mercury process system components that deliver a reliable and high-performance neutron source
The section delivers engineering designs and performs R&D in all the technical areas listed above, so as to deliver reliable and world-leading performance from the SNS and HFIR instrument suites.
Provide leadership to a thematic area of technical professional expertise for a variety of projects, programs or operations that integrates several aligned technical groups consistent with ORNL's aspiration to be the world's premier R&D institution and ORNL's science culture.
The Technical Section Head works closely with the Division Director and section Group Leaders to establish and implement the technology directions or operational plans for the section; support the Group Leaders to ensure their success and the success of the groups as world-recognized leaders in their fields; ensure that staff members understand project/program directions and opportunities; develop and implement consistent processes for the peer-review of technical products consistent with lab standards; model proper Environment, Safety, Security, Health, and Quality practices; and ensure a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels safe, heard and appreciated-a workplace that sets an example for the broader community
Technical Professionals are responsible for planning and leading major technical projects, operations or functions to solve challenges for science and engineering. Their work directly impacts the present and future of the laboratory in significant ways.
* Work closely with the Division Director and Group Leaders within the section to develop a vision and implement a strategy to pursue world-leading operations and/or technology directions for the section. Demonstrate cross-functional team leadership.
* Support Division Director in the operations of the division and represent Director when Director is not available.
* Work with section Group Leaders to establish, communicate, and measure critical metrics for success and impact. Benchmark against the best in the world.
* Actively contribute to shaping the division's, directorate's, and laboratory's plans and investments.
* Build strong teams by collaborating across ORNL and securing external expertise when needed. Leverage ORNL facilities and resources when developing new projects.
* Work with the Group Leaders and the Division Director to assess and calibrate individual staff performance across the section. Evaluate progress regularly, providing feedback and addressing performance issues in a timely manner.
* Develop and implement Succession Planning with input from Group Leaders for all critical positions in the section to ensure future success.
* Ensure groups are recruiting and hiring from a diverse pool of top candidates who are committed to world-class research and aspire to be the best in their field. Approve job offers.
* Drive staff promotions and development.
* Address in a timely manner all concerns expressed by staff and any disciplinary actions.
* Lead by example, using the principles in ORNL's "Research Code of Conduct" as a guide for proposing, performing, and communicating research and in dealing with others.
* Employ best practices, such as holding regular meetings, being visible in the workplace, monitoring budgets, acknowledging sponsors, and adhering to ORNL business systems requirements regarding staff requests for foreign travel and submission of quality proposals.
* Coach and mentor staff regarding Battelle's "Safe Conduct of Research" principles and ensure all work is carried out safely, securely, and in compliance with ORNL policies, standards, and procedures.
* Exemplify a commitment to "One ORNL" by modeling lab expectations for excellence in research, operations, and community engagement, and by working cooperatively to leverage capabilities across the lab.
* Serve as direct supervisor for section Group Leaders.
* Counsel/consult/mentor staff and transfer knowledge of specialized field(s) to a variety of staff, including senior staff.
* Connect staff to your network. Assist Group Leaders (and staff when appropriate) in setting long-term career goals. Identify additional mentors as appropriate and engage senior staff to act in this capacity.
* Be open and transparent in communicating information to your groups and communicate staff achievements and changes to stakeholders in a timely manner.
* Work with Group Leaders to ensure staff are participating actively in professional service (e.g., engagement in professional societies, workshop and conference organization, peer review, advisory board membership, etc.).
* Advocate for and support internal and external recognition of staff achievements. Ensure the Section's external professional presence is strong.
* Ensure that staff manage their projects effectively to deliver results on scope, schedule, and budget while meeting technical and business expectations.
* Effectively communicate the importance of protecting proprietary or sensitive information and complying with ORNL security and cybersecurity policies and guidelines.
* Recognize and support the contributions and responsibilities of Group Leaders and Laboratory Space Managers to lab safety.
* To section staff, for the quality and safety of their work environment and opportunity for professional growth.
* To organization managers, for world-leading technology directions, safe, effective, and compliant operations, ownership of assigned staff, facilities, and equipment, and the quality of products and services.
* To customer, for the quality of products and service.
* Implement a strategy to pursue world-leading technology directions for the section.
* Hold staff accountable for performance.
* Act to ensure safe and effective operations.
* Hire staff group leaders and staff as appropriate.
* Certify the technical quality of products and services.
* Requires a Ph.D. with a minimum of 7 years relevant experience, a M.S. with a minimum of 10 years relevant experience, a B.S. with 12 years relevant experience or significant relevant experience.
* Qualified candidates should have demonstrated experience in leading technical teams.
* Candidates must have at least 10 years of experience in providing engineering support within the technical scope of at least two of the groups within the section.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Extensive experience in neutron scattering engineering.
* Extensive Engineering/management experience with neutron source/instrument systems
* Experience working at a DOE national laboratory.
In order to be considered, applicants must provide a 1-page Vision Statement. Your Vision Statement should consist of your scientific vision for the position's relevant field of science over the next 5-10 years.
In order to submit your vision statement, please follow these instructions:
* Login to your application at jobs.ornl.gov
* Navigate to your Candidate Profile
* Under the "Documents" tab, you should see an option to "Attach a Document"
* Select the option to attach a document, and upload your vision statement there
Relocation: Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the "About" tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Recruiting Coordinator | Office of Administrative Services
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Managed by UT-Battelle for the U.S. Dept. of Energy
Email: turpinlm at ornl.gov<mailto:turpinlm at ornl.gov>
[cid:image001.png at 01D6E8C4.E98D1660]
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 14909 bytes
More information about the Neutron