[Neutron] ORNL Neutron Sciences Job Posting: Senior Neutron Detector Development Professional

Turpin, Lauren turpinlm at ornl.gov
Tue Mar 9 17:27:25 CET 2021

Email a Friend: Senior Neutron Detector Development Professional

Link to Apply<https://performancemanager4.successfactors.com/sf/jobreq?jobId=5090&company=utbattelleP>

Job Title: Senior Neutron Detector Development Professional

Requisition ID#: 5090

Overview:

The Detector Group within the Neutron Technologies Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is looking for a Senior Neutron Detector Development Professional.  The mission of this group is to develop new neutron detector technologies, deploy them at our scattering instruments, and to support the day-to-day operation of our instruments with state-of-the-art neutron detection technologies.

The development work of the group is currently focusing on two detector technologies: scintillator detectors and MCP detectors.  We are researching new scintillator and solid state materials that combine high efficiency for neutron capture with high brightness and/or mobility for resulting conversion particles.  Novel synthesis or manufacture techniques, such as 3D printing that might lead to lower cost, improved performance or new neutron sensitive device architectures are of particular interest.

We are also developing our own backend electronics solutions, to integrate the detectors into the data acquisition systems at the instruments, and this one of the main areas where this position is expected to contribute.

This position will support much needed R&D work in neutron detectors at ORNL.  In the long term, ORNL is planning to significantly expand the suites of scattering instruments at both HFIR and SNS, and new technical solutions for our detectors will be needed in terms of rate capability, efficiency for thermal neutrons, noise rejection, gamma sensitivity, spatial resolution, timing resolution, area, read-out speed, etc.  In this role you will join a diverse organization of scientists, engineers and technicians who work on detectors and their integration in the data acquisition systems of our scattering instruments.

Major Duties and Responsibilities:

  *   Development of new neutron detection systems that meet SNS and HFIR instruments requirements.
  *   Participate in the initiation of new research directions and the development of research proposals.
  *   Independently plan, design and conduct detector development and testing in a laboratory setting.
  *   Maintain effective communications concerning scientific efforts internal and external to the laboratory, including publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and presentation of results at scientific meetings.
  *   Collaborate with other scientists and technical personnel in a fast-paced, flexible work environment.
  *   Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of laboratory values and ethics.
  *   Ensure and monitor compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements.  Promptly identify ESH and QA issues and communicate them to project and division management, ESH and QA contacts, and/or subcontractor contacts as appropriate.
  *   As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct.  Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity.

Basic Qualifications:

  *   Ph.D. in Physics, or Electrical Engineering, with focus on particle detection physics
  *   At least 8-10 years of experience in detector development
  *   Experience in low-level electronics design
  *   Programming experience with C, Fortran, Perl and/or Python and working experience on linux/unix computer platforms

Preferred Qualifications:

  *   Experience in working with portable neutron sources in a laboratory
  *   Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
  *   Experience as a Principle Investigator of detector development
  *   Excellent written and oral communication skills

Other Requirements:

Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position.

About Neutron Sciences Directorate:

The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source.  Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists.  HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation.  To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to http://neutrons.ornl.gov<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>.

 Benefits at ORNL:

UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options.  Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.

Relocation:

Moving can be overwhelming and expensive.  UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process.  Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions.  If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
 For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the "About" tab at jobs.ornl.gov.

This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.

We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.

If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.

ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply.  UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.

Best Regards,

Lauren Turpin
Recruiting Coordinator | Office of Administrative Services
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Managed by UT-Battelle for the U.S. Dept. of Energy
Email: turpinlm at ornl.gov<mailto:turpinlm at ornl.gov>
[cid:image001.png at 01D6E8C4.E98D1660]