[Neutron] ORNL Neutron Sciences Job Posting: Neutron Data and Computing Program Manager
turpinlm at ornl.gov
Mon Mar 29 14:21:39 CEST 2021
Email a Friend: Neutron Data and Computing Program Manager
Job Title: Neutron Data and Computing Program Manager
Requisition ID#: 5318
We are seeking a senior scientist with expertise in neutron scattering, data systems and analysis, computational research, or related fields to fill the newly created role of Neutron Data and Computing Program Manager in the Neutron Scattering Division (NSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). In this role, you will develop creative solutions and coordinate our efforts across the entire data lifecycle for data collected at all 30 neutron scattering beamlines at the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS) and the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), which are operated as scientific user facilities on behalf of the U.S. Department of Energy
As Neutron Data and Computing Program Manager, you will provide scientific leadership and program management for all aspects of work along the entire data pipeline from data acquisition, reduction, and analysis to curation and sharing. You will initiate and coordinate the integration of efforts between NSD and other stakeholders at ORNL and in the scientific community. As a peer of the division's section heads, you will be an integral part of the senior leadership team of NSD. Your previous experience in working with scattering data will allow you to work effectively within NSD as you interact with instrument scientists, including the computational instrument scientists, while you will also engage with users. You will closely interact with the data acquisition groups in the Neutron Technologies Division as well as with the software and data engineering efforts in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division and the Information Technology Services Division. You will act as liaison to the Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences, the National Center for Computational Sciences, and the computing initiatives (e.g., the AI and Interconnected Instruments Initiatives).
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
* Develop and advise on data and computing strategies that enhance the impact of neutron scattering science
* Identify the data, computing, and software needs of the neutron scattering user community
* Develop innovative solutions to data acquisition, data reduction, data analysis, workflows, data curation, and data sharing to address these needs
* Ensure that all activities supported by the NSD, including the distribution of staff effort and other resources, are aligned with these priorities
* Develop ORNL-wide partnerships to integrate High Performance Computing and Edge Computing into our neutron scattering efforts, leading to real-time feedback to experimenters, more efficient use of neutron resources, and ultimately autonomous experimentation
* Build strong relationships with the user community and with other user facilities, and identify areas in which to collaborate
* Identify and pursue additional funding opportunities for projects related to data analysis, data analytics, and workflows; lead the coordination of upcoming Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD) efforts in neutron data analysis and data analytics
* Develop and implement strategies to engage the user community through education, training, and outreach
* Ensure an inclusive work environment for a diverse community of users, staff, postdocs, and students
* Commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct (https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity) by holding yourself and others to the highest scientific, professional, and ethical standards
* Ensure compliance with and leadership for environmental, safety, health and quality program requirements
* MS in physical sciences, computer sciences, or related field
* Minimum of 6 years of relevant technical experience beyond your PhD or 12 years beyond your MS
* Demonstrated track record of developing scientific software or managing related programs
* Experience in working with experimental data from scientifically diverse groups of researchers
* PhD in physical sciences, computer sciences, or related field
* Experience in performing neutron or x-ray scattering experiments
* Experience in working at a large-scale scientific user facility
Work Direction and Interfaces:
Reports to Division Director of NSD. Interfaces with SHs within NSD, DDs of NTD, CSMD, and ITSD; collaborators across ORNL, external user community.
About Neutron Sciences Directorate:
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to http://neutrons.ornl.gov<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>.
Benefits at ORNL:
UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the "About" tab at https://jobs.ornl.gov<https://jobs.ornl.gov/>.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Apply now ><https://jobs.ornl.gov/talentcommunity/apply/724194700/?locale=en_US>
Recruiting Coordinator | Office of Administrative Services
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Managed by UT-Battelle for the U.S. Dept. of Energy
Email: turpinlm at ornl.gov<mailto:turpinlm at ornl.gov>
[cid:image001.png at 01D6E8C4.E98D1660]
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 14909 bytes
More information about the Neutron