[Neutron] Opportunity for a Post Doctoral Accelerator Scientist at European Spallation Source
karin.vandenborre at ess.eu
Thu Jun 17 12:50:38 CEST 2021
The European Spallation Source, ESS, a partnership of European countries, is hiring motivated and inspired people to plan, design, and construct the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in different fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe.
ESS can offer a variety of things, such as passionate and international colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging, exciting and high paced work environment. We value and need expertise, innovative minds and great ways of leading and interacting with people from all over the world.
Come and change the world with us!<https://api.kaltura.nordu.net/index.php/extwidget/preview/partner_id/335/uiconf_id/23450475/entry_id/0_norye2s0/embed/auto?&flashvars%5BstreamerType%5D=auto>
The Technical Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden invites applications for the position of Postdoctoral Accelerator Scientist, in the Accelerator Division.
The Accelerator Division is responsible for the design, construction, testing, commissioning and operation of the ESS accelerator in Lund, Sweden. When completed, the pulsed superconducting linac, will produce proton beam with an average power of 5 MW, driving the world’s brightest spallation neutron source.
You will be working with the Machine Section Coordinator for the Normal Conducting Linac to deliver the front-end part of the ESS accelerator. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to the installation, testing and commissioning of the most exciting accelerator project currently under construction in Europe. Commissioning will be done in several stages as more components are being installed and tested. The upcoming phase will see the beam transported from the Ion Source to the Medium Energy Beam Transport Line (MEBT). Some of the main responsibilities will include:
* Take part in testing and commissioning studies as well as machine setup and operation support.
* Work closely with other experts across ESS on solving technical problems relevant for beam commissioning, as they arise.
* Interface with other ESS teams (like Safety, Radiation Protection, Licensing, Controls, etc. ) on issues relevant for the machine section.
* Drive the development of technical testing plans as required by the different project phases.
* Contribute to the installation, testing and commissioning planning of the ESS linac.
* Assist the Machine Section Coordinator in overseeing the technical hardware installation, testing and commissioning.
* Take an active role in the complex coordination activities needed in this phase of the project.
* Take a leading role in collecting, editing, harmonising and consolidating all necessary documentation for the various technical and safety reviews, including following up actions and recommendations.
* Regular presentations and documentation of the work carried out will be necessary, in collaboration with specialists from a wide range of engineering disciplines.
Working outside normal working hours and on-call is to be expected.
The successful candidate will have:
* a doctoral degree or equivalent experience in physics or a related area
* good knowledge of accelerator physics and engineering in general and high power accelerators in particular
* excellent capabilities to perform research shall be demonstrated through publications in peer-reviewed journals and at important conferences in the accelerator field
We are looking for a candidate with a strong interest in science and engineering, a desire to collaborate and exchange knowledge and capacity to work with experts across multiple disciplines. Good oral and written proficiency in English is required, as well as the capacity to work both independently and in a team. Work ethic and discipline are essential for this position. To be effective the candidate must be able to interact well with others and deliver under pressure. A good understanding of the challenges of building, testing and commissioning a state-of-the-art accelerator is essential. Work experience from other facilities is an advantage.
Our work environment is exciting and innovative with an international atmosphere and highly skilled personnel. You must therefore enjoy the diversity of such a work place and have a personality suited for the challenges and opportunities it presents.
Duration & Location
This is a three-year position with a six months initial probationary period.
Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae in English by clicking on “apply” and follow the instructions. Please note that we only accept applications via the ESS website.
For some roles at ESS health check-ups and security clearance are required, and thus this might be applicable in the final parts of the recruitment process. The applicant is expected to be fit to perform the applicable tasks of this recruitment.
The deadline for applications is 4 July 2021
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.
For further information regarding the position, please contact Machine Section Coordinator for the Normal Conducting Linac, Ciprian Plostinar, ciprian.plostinar[at]ess.eu
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Karin Vandenborre, karin.vandenborre[at]ess.eu.
For trade union information please contact Unionen / Conny Wendt at +46 72 179 24 63 or SACO / Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers/ Johan Waldeck at +46 72 179 21 65.
We look forward to receiving your application!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 342465 bytes
More information about the Neutron