[Neutron] Software Scientist position at ESS
tina.nilsson at ess.eu
Thu Jun 24 11:13:33 CEST 2021
The European Spallation Source, ESS, a partnership of European countries, is hiring motivated and inspired people to plan, design, and construct the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in different fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe.
ESS can offer a variety of things, such as passionate and international colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging, exciting and high paced work environment. We value and need expertise, innovative minds and great ways of leading and interacting with people from all over the world.
Come and change the world with us!<https://api.kaltura.nordu.net/index.php/extwidget/preview/partner_id/335/uiconf_id/23450475/entry_id/0_norye2s0/embed/auto?&flashvars%5BstreamerType%5D=auto>
The ESS, Data Management and Software Centre (DMSC) in Copenhagen, Denmark invites applications for a Software Scientist position.
The DMSC is responsible for the design, development and construction of the computer software and hardware to be used for the operation and data analysis of the experiments to be carried out on the neutron scattering and imaging instruments to be constructed at ESS. DMSC performs work at both the ESS offices in Lund, Sweden and at the main DMSC offices in Copenhagen, Denmark.
The accurate detection of neutrons is at the core of any experiment in the future ESS. The facility has invested in a sophisticated software architecture that will run on standard computing hardware to process neutron events in real time. It is written in C++ and runs on Linux operating systems. This enables better testing and verification of the algorithms that in traditional setups are embedded in dedicated hardware or FPGAs. With this framework the processing can be optimized to meet the needs of the particular neutron instrument, which can be expressed in spatial resolution, signal or background count rate among other performance indicators. It is important to ensure that users can trust the system to record all relevant data accurately and reliably.
in this role your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
* Collaboratively develop a software event formation system that can cope with the neutron event rates of the next generation neutron facility accurately and reliably.
* Define requirements for the processing for different detector types
* Implement solutions within the ESS software framework
* Support ESS staff in testing and commissioning the system
To be successful in this positions you need to have:
* A STEM or software-related degree or relevant higher qualification
* Proven programming experience in C++ and Python or similar language
Desirable qualifications include:
* Experience with collection, processing or analysis of data from experiments or measurements
* Familiarity with the operating principles of particle detectors
* Prior experience of working with or contributing to to high performance data processing projects
* Experience with data streaming or message broker systems, such as Apache Kafka
* Experience in building, testing and deploying software in a professional manner
* Ability to work efficiently on Linux operating systems
* Track record of working as part of a team or collaboration
* Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels
* Good communication, presentation and people skills for working in a cross cultural environment
Our work environment is characterised by an international atmosphere with highly skilled personnel. You must therefore enjoy diversity and have a personality suited for the challenges it presents. Our work environment is exciting and forward thinking and relies heavily on personal initiative.
Duration & Location
The position is permanent with three months initial probationary period
Your work place will be situated in Copenhagen, Denmark. The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and cover letter in English by clicking on “apply” and following the instructions.
Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website or ESS intranet.
For some roles at ESS health check-ups and security clearance are required, and thus this might be applicable in the final parts of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is 2021-08-15.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process in general, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process. <https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process>
For further information regarding the position, please contact the recruiting manager, Group Leader Experiment Control and Data Curation, Tobias Richter, Tobias.Richter at ess.eu
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Karin Vandenborre, karin.vandenborre at ess.eu.
We look forward to receiving your application!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron