[Neutron] ORNL Neutron Sciences Job Posting: Neutron Scattering Senior Scientist at the Liquids Reflectometer
turpinlm at ornl.gov
Fri Dec 17 20:52:09 CET 2021
Email a Friend: Neutron Scattering Senior Scientist at the Liquids Reflectometer
Link to Apply<https://career-hcm20.ns2cloud.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=7249&company=utbattelleP>
Job Title: Neutron Scattering Senior Scientist at the Liquids Reflectometer
Requisition ID#: 7249
The Neutron Reflectometry Group within the Neutron Scattering Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking a senior-level scientist for the Liquids Reflectometer (LR) at the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS). The LR measures specular and off specular neutron reflectivity in a horizontal sample geometry from solid surfaces, tilted solid/liquid interfaces, and free liquid surfaces. More details about the instrument and its scientific impact can be found at https://neutrons.ornl.gov/lr.
In this position, you will play a central role in developing a strong user community and shaping the scientific direction of the bio- and soft matter user program on the Liquids Reflectometer. The Liquids Reflectometer is ideally suited to investigate interfacial phenomena supporting a diverse science community in physical, chemical, biological, and materials sciences. This position is viewed as an essential position in our organization and is ideally suited for a mid-career scientist with a passion of developing and expanding the application of neutron reflectometry in the biological and soft matter sciences to meet the needs of the current and future neutron reflectometry community.
Major Duties/ Responsibilities:
* Pursue a high-quality personal research program in biomaterials and soft matter using neutron reflectometry and build national and international collaborations.
* Attract users from new areas of research, especially in biophysics, and related to the topics of your own research efforts.
* Assist users as a local contact for experimental design, data acquisition, user education as appropriate and ensure users are provided with analyzable data.
* Champion developments in instrumentation, sample environment, and software to help maintain and further develop the performance of the Liquids Reflectometer.
* Present and report research results and publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner.
* Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, health, and quality program requirements.
* Embrace an inclusive work environment for a diverse community of users, staff, postdocs, and students.
* As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity.
* A Ph.D. in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, or a related field
* A minimum of 5 years of experience with neutron or X-ray scattering post Ph.D.
* A demonstrated ability to work effectively with research staff at all levels and within a multidisciplinary team environment tackling complex problems.
* A demonstrated ability and desire to work in a team environment.
* The candidate should be self-motivated and have good interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
* Previous beamline support experience in a neutron or synchrotron X-ray user facility.
* Experience in thin film and interfacial science, including biomaterials and soft matter research.
* Experience in developing novel sample environments for biomaterials and soft matter in reflectometry.
* Track record of developing applications, techniques and/or instrumentation in reflectometry.
* Experience in developing software or scripts related to data reduction and/or analysis.
* Demonstrated ability to work with other technical and scientific support groups.
* Demonstrated ability to work with graduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and other research scientists from both academia and/or industry.
* A strong record of productive and creative research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences
Please provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae when applying for this position.
If you are selected for an interview, you will be required to submit a minimum of 2 letters of recommendation.
About Neutron Sciences Directorate:
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to http://neutrons.ornl.gov<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>.
Benefits at ORNL:
UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the "About" tab at https://jobs.ornl.gov<https://jobs.ornl.gov/>.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron