[Neutron] BNC job opening - TOF Neutron Scattering Instrument Scientist

Bottyán László bottyan.laszlo at wigner.hu
Thu Mar 24 16:30:34 CET 2022

Dear Colleagues, please forward the following job opening in Budapest to
those who may be interested.

Best regards,  BNC Management

The Neutron Spectroscopy Department of the Centre for Energy Research is
opening a tenure-track position for a TOF Neutron Scattering Instrument
Scientist

The Centre for Energy Research is the host institute for the Budapest
Neutron Centre (BNC) and is responsible for the operation of the Budapest
Research Reactor, providing a source of neutrons, together with analytical
instrument suites and staff, for the investigation of the structure and
composition of condensed matter.

The BNC is the largest research infrastructure in Hungary and also in
Central Europe. It operates an international user program with access to
14 neutron beam instruments. The BNC is a respected member of the European
research network, and its staff conduct high-impact multidisciplinary
research.

The BNC’s TOF-ND is a general-purpose thermal neutron time-of-flight
diffractometer, also potentially able to perform inelastic neutron
scattering experiments. We are looking for an instrument scientist to
conduct user experiments and further develop the instrument, whilst also
undertaking his/her own programme of research.

Duration of employment:
The position is initially offered for a fixed-term of three years, with
the possibility of being subsequently extended into permanent position.

Form of employment: full-time

Place of work: Konkoly-Thege Miklós Street 29-33.,
                1121 Budapest, Hungary

Essential tasks of the job:
The successful candidate will be responsible for the operation of the
TOF-ND, performing user experiments, carrying out experimental data
reduction, and participating in the interpretation of results. The
post-holder will also contribute to developing concepts for a major
upgrade of the instrument including guide and chopper systems, shielding,
installation of the inelastic scattering setup, and improvement of the
instrument control and the data reduction software etc. They will also be
required to carry out their own research in material science and/or
neutron optics.

Requirements:
-	interest in experimental and developmental work
-	experience in diffraction and/or neutron instrumentation
-	ability to work precisely, and undertake independent work
-	good teamwork skills
-	degree in natural sciences (preferably PhD)
-	good knowledge of written and spoken English
-	no criminal record

Advantages:
- experience with time-of-flight neutron data analysis
- existing field of research in neutron/X-ray diffraction
- proficiency in data processing of diffraction measurements (Rietveld, RMC)
- experience with instrument control
- knowledge of programming languages (C++, Python, LabView)

Documents and certificates to be submitted upon application:
Applicants are requested to submit a CV, a cover letter, copies of their
degree certificates, and up to four letters of recommendation, together
with written consent that their personal data may be obtained by the
evaluating committee in connection with their application.

Application deadline:
The position will remain open until filled.
Applications submitted until 30 April, 2022 will be evaluated together by
a three-member committee of experts.
Deadline for evaluation of the applications: 15 May, 2022
Starting date: 1 June 2022, or as soon as possible thereafter

For more information on the application please contact Dr Zoltán Dudás at
+36 1 392-2222 ext.1849 or dudas.zoltan at ek-cer.hu