[Neutron] Job Posting: Open position - Postdoctoral Research Scientist

Bella Lake bella.lake at helmholtz-berlin.de
Mon Apr 29 12:05:59 CEST 2024

Job title: Postdoctoral Research Scientist for the investigation of quantum magnets by experimental and numerical methods

Ref No.: QM 2024/8

Location: Helmholtz Zentrum Berlin, Germany

Link to apply: https://recruitingapp-5181.de.umantis.com/Vacancies/2350/Description/2?lang=eng

Deadline: 19th May

Contact: Bella Lake,  bella.lake at helmholtz-berlin.de

 �

Overview:

The Institute of Quantum Phenomena in Novel Materials undertakes world leading research in quantum and frustrated magnetism, multi-functional materials and superconductivity. As well as operating several X-ray instruments at the BESSY II synchrotron, we also host the Core Laboratory for Quantum Materials which offers state-of-the-art materials synthesis and the full range of sample characterization facilities including X-ray Laue and powder diffraction, magnetization, thermodynamic and transport measurements. Neutron scattering experiments performed at external facilities are also a major activity and we interpret our data via extensive collaboration with colleagues performing theoretical calculations.

This postdoctoral position aims to explore the emergent states and properties of quantum and topological magnets by combining experimental measurements, data analysis and numerical simulations. As a postdoctoral research scientist, you would explore the magnetic states and excitations of new magnets using neutron scattering as well as other laboratory-based techniques. A strong emphasis is placed on in-depth data analysis by using and developing state-of-the-art methods. Numerical simulations of quantum states will also play a role as a tool for understanding and interpreting the experimental results as well as identifying phenomena for further experimental investigation.

 �

Tasks:

*	Performing neutron scattering experiments to explore, identify and characterize states and excitations in quantum magnets.
*	Developing state-of-the-art methods to analyze neutron datasets and perform comparison to available theories.
*	Performing numerical simulations to understanding and interpreting the experimental results.

 �

Requirements:

*	PhD specializing in condensed matter physics
*	In-depth knowledge of the field of magnetism
*	Highly developed computer programming skills
*	Experience of performing neutron scattering experiments

 �

How to apply �:

Applications should be made online at

https://recruitingapp-5181.de.umantis.com/Vacancies/2350/Description/2?lang=eng

Please attach the following documents to your application:

*	Your cover letter
*	Your curriculum vitae
*	Your academic certificates
*	The contact details of at least two references

 �

We very much want our workplace to be diverse, and welcome applications from people with different backgrounds. It is our mission to promote equal opportunities and to improve women’s representation in the workforce. We are therefore very interested in receiving applications from women. Where the qualifications are met, we will give preference to people with disabilities.

 �

 �

 �

 �