Neutron Scattering Mail

Ray Osborn ray_osborn at qmgate.anl.gov
Mon Feb 27 14:57:01 CST 1995

--------------------------------------
Date: 2/27/95 2:56 PM
From: Ray Osborn

Subscribers can receive and post information on neutron-related workshops and
conferences, neutron source run cycle dates, calls for proposals,
newly-commissioned instruments, analysis software, ftp or WWW sites, and other
news from around the neutron scattering world.

Subscription
------------
Send an E-mail message to "neutron-request at anl.gov" leaving the subject header
blank.  In the body of the message, type

SUBSCRIBE
QUIT

and that's all.  The QUIT command insures that the mail server ignores
subsequent text (e.g. signatures etc). When you have subscribed, you will
receive a welcome message which lists other commands you can use to obtain
information about the server.

Posting
-------
Send an E-mail message to "neutron at anl.gov" this time with an informative
subject heading.  This message will then be sent to all current subscribers.
Please note that this process is completely unmoderated so we ask that you
restrict postings to information that is of interest to the neutron community
in general. If you post questions to the mailing list, please ask for replies
to be sent by E-mail directly to you.  You should then summarize the responses
and post that to the mailing list.

Usenet
------
We believe that there is a role for online discussions within the neutron
community but that Usenet is a more appropriate forum than a mailing list.
One of the reasons for setting up this server is to establish the
level of support within the neutron community for such a newsgroup.  When
a reasonable number of people have subscribed, we will perform a survey of
subscribers' opinions before proceeding with a Usenet application.

Please direct all questions concerning the operation of the Neutron
Scattering Mailing List to Tom Worlton (TGWorlton at anl.gov) while questions
relating to the Usenet newsgroup should be addressed to Ray Osborn
(ROsborn at anl.gov).

Dr Ray Osborn                  Tel: (708) 252-9011
Materials Science Division     Fax: (708) 252-7777
Argonne National Laboratory    E-mail: ROsborn at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4845