[Neutron] FRM-II reaches full power

Juergen Neuhaus Juergen.Neuhaus at frm2.tum.de
Wed Aug 25 18:58:41 CDT 2004

Dear colleagues and friends.

I am happy to inform you that our neutron source FRM-II in Garching,
Germany has reached today its nominal power of 20 MW.

After the nuclear startup on March, 2nd 2004 we increased stepwise the
power to prove the save and reliable operation of the reactor and all
its components.

During these steps we already started to use the first neutrons for
aligning and testing the beams and instruments. Flux measurements with
detectors as well as gold foil activation analysis showed good
agreements with calculated values.

In the forthcoming weeks the instrument teams will continue to take
into operation their instruments. After the end of the first fuel cycle
in October 2004 we expect to start the routine operation end of the year
with the second fuel cycle.

More details on first experiments and results will be published on our
Internet site:

http://www.frm2.tum.de

Looking forward to welcome you for first experiments in Garching in the
near future,

with best regards

Juergen Neuhaus

Juergen Neuhaus Technische Universitaet Muenchen Tel.: (+49) 89 2891 2187
ZWE FRM-II      D-85747 Garching, Germany        Fax.: (+49) 89 2891 4995
http://www.frm2.tu-muenchen.de/