[Neutron] postdoctoral position in 3He spin filters for neutron scattering

Tom Gentile thomas.gentile at nist.gov
Thu Jan 19 09:10:20 CST 2006

A postdoctoral position in the development and application of polarized 3He
neutron spin filters for both neutron scattering and fundamental neutron
physics is currently available. The successful candidate will be employed
by Indiana University and based at the National Institute of Standards and
Technology (NIST) in Gaithersburg, Maryland.  Neutron spin filters based on
optically pumped 3He are becoming of significant interest for polarized
neutron instruments and have particular relevance to the upcoming
Spallation Neutron Source (SNS).  Leading this effort in the U.S., our
collaboration includes Indiana University, NIST, Hamilton College and the
Univ. of Wisconsin.  We collaborate with researchers at the SNS, the
Intense Pulsed Neutron
Source at Argonne National Laboratory, the Low Energy Neutron Source
at Indiana University, the Los Alamos Neutron Science
Center, and Brookhaven National Lab, and we have ties to neutron facilities
overseas.   Our program spans the range from basic studies of the optical
pumping of 3He to applications.  Neutron scattering applications include a
wide range of polarized neutron instruments.  In fundamental neutron
physics, we are involved in parity violation and neutron decay experiments
that require polarized neutrons.  Givne the interdisciplinary nature of
this endeavor, we are open to candidates with backgrounds in atomic,
optical or nuclear physics, or materials science.  Further information can
be obtained by contacting Tom Gentile at thomas.gentile at nist.gov or
301-975-5431, or Mike Snow at snow at iucf.indiana.edu or 812-855-7914.

Thomas R. Gentile			phone:  301-975-5431
NIST				FAX:  301-926-1604
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8461 		e-mail:  thomas.gentile at nist.gov
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8461