[Neutron] LANSCE User Program Headlines - August 2011

E. Fernandez elena at lanl.gov
Fri Aug 26 00:14:57 CEST 2011

LANSCE User Program Headlines
This email has been formatted in html. Some images and links may not be
displayed if your email client is not set to view in html.
To view the full html version go to: lansce . lanl . gov/news/up headlines
<hxxp://lansce.lanl.gov/news/up%20headlines.shtml>

Colleagues,

Construction of a new building to expand our capabilities at the
LANSCE/WNR Target-4 experimental area has started.  The building doubles
our capacity for neutron testing of semiconductor devices with the same
neutron spectrum that presently exists at the ICE House.  The new
building also provides a special flight path essential for the success
of neutron output measurements following fission (Chi-Nu). On this
flight path, a pit in the floor under the detectors reduces the
background from neutrons scattered from the concrete.

The new building will cover the 15-degree Right and Left flight paths as
well as parts of the 30-degree Right and Left flight paths, and will
have a crane to move heavy shielding and equipment.  Contractors are
presently excavating in preparation for framing and pouring the
foundation for the building. A detailed schedule is being developed that
will couple the construction schedule with the installation of the
flight paths.

We will bring up the Target-4 flight paths in a staged sequential
manner:  The 90-degree Left (TPC) and the 60-Right (GEANIE) flight paths
will be the first to receive beam because they are outside of the
building construction area. The next flight paths to be brought on line
will be the 30-degree flight paths (Ice House and ICE-II). The last
flight paths will be the 15-degree Right and 15-degree Left flight paths
because they require the most installation effort.

We will keep users informed as the work progresses and look forward to
operations in our new facility.

-LANSCE User Office