[Neutron] ORNL: Radio-Frequency (RF) Engineer / NB50469940
Levesque, Cerissa J.
levesquecj at ornl.gov
Tue Jan 13 19:11:50 CET 2015
Job Posting Title
Radio-Frequency (RF) Engineer / NB50469940
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>
The RF Engineer will support operation, maintenance, repairs, and upgrades of the RF systems that accelerate and manipulate particle beams in the SNS accelerator complex.
* Working within the RF Systems Team, evaluates and improves the design of the RF systems to support the Research
Accelerator Division's mission to provide high availability (>90%) neutrons for Neutron Science investigations.
* Performs failure analysis and study mean time to repair and mean time to failure data on RF systems to propose reliability upgrades.
* Provides RF support for the accelerator including occasional call-in and off-normal work hours.
* Evaluates and improves the designs of existing electronic circuits to mitigate obsolescence.
* Develops control interfaces for custom hardware platforms utilizing LabView and C++ software.
* Designs and analyze RF circuits for acceleration and bunching of particle beams.
* Develops documentation and procedures for RF equipment and ancillary systems.
* Assists with the development of training materials for RF systems and participates in training of SNS staff.
* Ensures compliance with environmental, safety, health and quality program requirements.
* Supervises, directs or trains technicians and craft workers.
* Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values, ethics, and diversity.
* Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline with a concentration in electronics design, radio-frequency
(RF) or microwave theory and techniques (MTT).
* Greater than 2 years of experience in the design and development of technical devices and systems in the concentration areas of electronics design, RF, and MTT.
* Expertise in computer programming using languages such as C++ and Labview.
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
* Entry level candidates with a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline will be considered.
* Experience with hardware description language (HDL) for systems utilizing field programmable gate arrays (FPGA) is desirable.
Work Directions and Interfaces
* Reports to the RF Systems Manager.
* Takes direction from the Electrical and RF Systems Group Leader, the RF Systems Manager, and RF Systems Lead
* Interfaces with Electrical and RF Systems Group members, NScD staff, professional peers from non-ORNL institutions, ORNL business services, vendors and visitors.
* Represents group activities and interests within ORNL and at professional conferences, workshops, and collaboration meetings.
Provides work direction to engineers, technicians, research mechanics, subcontractors, and vendors within guidelines established by the Electrical and RF Systems Group Leader. Initiates procurement of materials and services.
Measures of Effectiveness
*Success in the fulfillment of all major duties and responsibilities.
*Success as measured by the ORNL Employee Performance Management process.
*Safe execution of all responsibilities in accordance with ORNL ES&H requirements.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron