[Neutron] JOB: Instrument Scientist, Didcot

Hayley Page (UK SBS) Hayley.Page at uksbs.co.uk
Thu May 28 12:27:57 CEST 2015

Instrument Scientist - Neutron Imaging and Diffraction (IMAT)
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell, Didcot
£36,033 £37,534 per annum (depending on experience)

About Us
The Crystallography Group at ISIS operates eight neutron diffraction beamlines, performing world class powder and single crystal diffraction studies covering a broad range of academic and industrial research. In addition, the group is responsible for the construction of a new instrument, IMAT, which will provide a unique combination of neutron radiography, tomography and diffraction techniques for studies in scientific disciplines ranging from engineering and earth sciences to bioscience and archaeological science. IMAT will begin operation in September 2015, initially only in imaging mode, but with development of the complementary diffraction capabilities taking place during 2016 following a recent announcement of approximately £1.1M funding from the Swedish research council.

About the role
You will focus on the efficient commissioning of the new instrument, including the development of software for image reconstruction using neutron cameras installed on IMAT and the installation of the diffraction detectors. Once operational, the post holder will support the user programme on IMAT (and other diffraction instruments), contribute to ongoing equipment development projects (for example, new sample environment devices). You will be encouraged to perform his/her own independent research programme in a relevant material science discipline, ideally using neutron imaging and/or neutron diffraction techniques.

About you
To join us you will need:
.	A PhD in a relevant subject, such as physical science or engineering
.	A recognised international profile in imaging and/or powder diffraction techniques (publication record).
.	Experience with data analysis methods using neutron/X-ray imaging and/or diffraction

Benefits
An excellent index linked pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexi-time are offered. Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC's careers pages.

At STFC, you will belong to a community of experts who are driving world-class science and technology forward.  We give you the flexibility, the freedom and the world-class facilities to focus on what you do best, and play your part in breakthroughs and achievements that will give you career enhancing opportunities.

Applications are handled by UK SBS Shared Services Centre; to apply please visit our job board at http://www.topcareer.jobs/home/home.aspx   Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on 01793 867000. Please quote reference number IRC191153.

Closing Date:  30 June 2015

UK Shared Business Services Ltd. Registered in England and Wales as a limited company.  Company number 6330639.  Registered Office: North Star House, North Star Avenue, Swindon, Wiltshire SN2 1FF.

UK Shared Business Services Ltd (UK SBS) is the new name for RCUK Shared Services Centre Ltd. While we migrate all our materials to the new name and new identity please bear with us.

This email and any attachments are intended for the named addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify UK SBS immediately and do not disclose, distribute, or retain this email or any part of it. While UK SBS has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this e-mail or any attachments containing viruses, the recipient should carry out its own virus checks before opening the attachments. The Company does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses. Any opinions expressed in this email (including attachments) are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the company's opinions. We will not accept responsibility for any commitments made by our employees outside the scope of our business. The Company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks for the purposes of preventing and detecting crime.