[Neutron] Electronics Technician to ESS in Lund, Sweden

Kristina Bacos Kristina.Bacos at esss.se
Wed Jul 15 09:15:51 CEST 2015

The Science Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden, invites applications for an Electronics Technician position.

Description of directorate/division/group

The Detector Group is part of the Instrument Technology Division under the Science Directorate. Our division provides the technological tools required for the design, construction and operation of the neutron instruments at the ESS, and the Detector Group is working with partners worldwide to provide novel neutron detectors based on diverse technology and requirements.

Description of main responsibilities

The successful candidate will be a technician in the Detector Group’s electronics workshop where we are developing and integrating readout for instruments to be deployed at the ESS. This is an opportunity to acquire and develop skills and be involved in the creation of a world class facility. ESS has access to the best CAE tools, and we are building up workshop and laboratory space equipped to the highest standards as an essential part of our establishment of the best neutron facility in the world.

You will be responsible for procurement of electronics parts and equipment, assembly of PCBs, cables, and instrument readout subsystems and installation

work of detector electronics and network based readout system. You will also be involved in the design and manufacture of readout boards for detector prototypes, demonstrator systems, and final readout systems for use on ESS instruments. In addition, you will be expected to take a major role in the day to day running of our readout workshops. Because of the collaborative nature of our work, you may be required to spend some time at our partner research labs across Europe. This is a unique opportunity for the right candidate to gain a very wide range of experience in world leading technologies.

Qualifications

We are looking for a self-motivated, creative person who is completely at home in the world of electronics and online computing. You will have demonstrated your enthusiasm for designing and building electronics projects, and will be prepared to take on the challenge of firmware and software development wherever necessary. This is a junior role, where you will have the opportunity to develop your skills and learn new skills through your interaction with our experienced engineering team drawn from leading facilities around the world. We are seeking a flexible, practical person, and practical experience and examples of your passion for electronics will be valued above academic qualifications. As much of our work is fine scale and precision in nature you must have excellent mechanical dexterity. Experience of precision assembly work would be a considerable advantage, especially hand assembly of fine pitch components and advanced soldering skills. We use robotic and computer controlled tools, and experience of CNC or other automation skills would be of value. Experience of electronics CAD (schematic and layout) and PCB production would also be very valuable.

As a person, you must be a perfectionist who will not accept second best. You must be flexible in your approach to work and prepared to tackle a very wide range of tasks in order to ensure successful and timely delivery of electronics systems. You must be a hands-on person, strongly motivated by the desire to deliver on time and determined to ensure the successful development and operation of our electronics facilities. The most central criterion for selection is your personality. You must fit in to our culture and share our values.

Experience of working in an international environment is essential and your English skills need to be good in both verbal and written form. Basic knowledge of Swedish or Danish would be valuable.

What ESS can offer

At ESS we offer people with talent and passion a unique opportunity to be involved in the development and building of a world leading facility for materials research. Besides attractive employment and relocation conditions, the flexibility to balance work life with private life and good opportunities to further enhance your skills; you will also enjoy being part of an organisational culture that promotes and supports internal career growth. We pride ourselves in having successful collaboration across different functions, and as the facility continues to grow we will keep nurturing the international and vibrant environment welcoming people from all across the world.

Duration & Location

The position is a two-year temporary position. Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.

Application & Contact

Please apply on our homage; http://europeanspallationsource.se/vacancies and provide your curriculum vitae and covering letter in English. Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website. The deadline for applications is 23rd of Aug 2015.

For further information regarding the position, please contact Group Leader Detector, Richard Hall-Wilton, richard.hall-wilton[at]esss.se. For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Business Partner, kristina.bacos[at]esss.se.

We look forward to receiving your application!

Med vänlig hälsning / Kind regards

______________________________________

Kristina Bacos
HR Business Partner

European Spallation Source ESS AB
P.O Box 176, SE-221 00 Lund, Sweden
Visiting address: Tunavägen 24

Mobile: +46 72 179 22 76
Phone: +46 46 888 32 76
E-mail: kristina.bacos at esss.se<mailto:kristina.bacos at esss.se>

[cid:71EC60CB-ABCF-4C40-9898-87D7C10ADE27]

[unknown.png]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/326252?trk=tyah&trkInfo=tarId%3A1365532036406>

www.esss.se<http://www.esss.se/>

The European Spallation Source is a Partnership of 17 European Nations committed to the goal of collectively building and operating the world's leading facility for research using neutrons by the second quarter of the 21st Century