[Neutron] Scientific Software Developer - Data Aggregation to ESS in Copenhagen, Denmark

Kristina Anderberg Kristina.Anderberg at esss.se
Mon Sep 7 10:36:35 CEST 2015

The Science Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden, invites applications for a Scientific Software Developer at the Data Management and Software Centre in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Description of directorate/division/group

The Data Management and Software Centre (DMSC), part of the ESS Science Directorate, is responsible for the design, development and construction of the computer software and hardware to be used for the operation and data analysis of the experiments to be carried out on the neutron scattering and imaging instruments to be constructed at ESS.

DMSC performs work at both the ESS offices in Lund, Sweden and at the main DMSC offices currently located at Universitetsparken 1 in Copenhagen, Denmark. In 2017 the main offices of DMSC will move to a purpose built building on the Niels Bohr campus of the University of Copenhagen.

The mission of the Data Management Group is to deliver the critical real time data streaming and recording infrastructures that make experiments at ESS possible and to provide the catalogues, databases and automatic processing capabilities that enable visiting scientist to effectively use their scattering data.

To meet this objective we will utilise development effort and expertise from ESS in Lund and Copenhagen staff and in-kind contributing partners from other facilities collaboratively developing open source packages for use at large scale facilities.

Description of main responsibilities

At data ESS will be mostly coming from neutron event data (in the MHz range) and information from motion and sample environments like temperature controllers (around 1 Hz). The role of the advertised position will be to design and implement software to aggregate data from fast neutron detectors and integrate that with metadata from sample environments, motion, etc. The resulting unified data stream of significant data rate and volume shall be available to a number of subscribers, considering efficient use of computing resources, network bandwidth. The subscribers will then store, process or visualise the data in near real-time. The systems we develop for instrument operations shall be designed to ensure compatibility maximise performance and maintainability.

The project should establish a working prototype and develop the system into a product suitable for reliable operations using agile methods and up to date software engineering best practises.

The work will be performed in collaboration with the teams from the Neutron Instruments and Neutron Technologies Divisions who are designing the instruments; with the Data Systems and Technologies, Instrument Data, and Data Analysis, Modelling and Simulation Groups within DMSC; and with the Integrated Controls Systems Division in the Machine Directorate at ESS as well external project partners.

Qualifications

Technical competencies

  *   We are looking for candidates with a track record of software development in larger scientific and / or technical projects in an object-oriented language.
  *   A degree in physics, computer/electrical engineering or computer science or substantial equivalent experience is required.
  *   To understand and enhance the ESS data streaming infrastructure knowledge some of the areas of device control systems, network streaming, messaging systems, signal processing and real time applications are a plus.
  *   You should be confortable developing in on Linux based operating systems.
  *   Experience in developing and maintaining software in an environment where reliability and fault tolerance is a major concern.
  *   Experience of developing scientific software at large-scale neutron or photon sources.

You as a person
To be successful and to perform well in this position, you are:

  *   Equipped with excellent time management and organisational skills.
  *   Able to work in large, diverse teams and lead areas of work.
  *   Have excellent communication skills both oral and written with the ability to effectively communicate and discuss complex ideas.

What ESS can offer

At ESS we offer people with talent and passion a unique opportunity to be involved in the development and building of a world leading facility for materials research. Besides attractive employment and relocation conditions, the flexibility to balance work life with private life and good opportunities to further enhance your skills; you will also enjoy being part of an organizational culture that promotes and supports internal career growth. We pride ourselves in having successful collaboration across different functions, and as the facility continues to grow we will keep nurturing the international and vibrant environment welcoming people from all across the world.

Duration & Location
This is a time-limited employment for 36 months financed by a EU grant. The relocation support will, when applicable, differ from the standard relocation package provided by the ESS AB. Your work place will be situated in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Application & Contact

Please provide your curriculum vitae and covering letter in English by clicking on “apply” and following the instructions. Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website.

The deadline for applications is the 4th of October 2015.  The recruitment process is ongoing and the deadline may be shortened. Therefore we recommend that applications be submitted as soon as possible.

For further information regarding the position please contact Group Leader Tobias Richter, at tobias.richter[at]esss.se and for further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Business Partner, Kristina Anderberg, kristina.anderberg[at]esss.se.

We look forward to receiving your application.