[Neutron] CHRNS Call for Proposals

Hernandez, Yamali (Fed) yamali.hernandez at nist.gov
Tue Oct 20 18:49:58 CEST 2020

CALL FOR PROPOSALS [cid:image002.png at 01D6A6DF.55061C70]  located at NIST

You are invited to apply for time on the neutron beam instruments at the Center for High Resolution Neutron Scattering<https://www.nist.gov/ncnr/chrns> located at the NIST Center for Neutron Research.

  *   Given the COVID situation, we are offering ¾ the number of days compared to a usual call. This does not affect the total number of days we expect to offer in 2021 and 2022. We are simply adjusting the number of days offered in this particular call.
  *   Due to the commissioning of CANDOR, the polarized beam reflectometer (PBR) is no longer accepting proposals. Please contact an instrument scientist to inquire about access to PBR.
  *   While we hope that COVID will recede to the point that some users will be allowed on-site for their experiments, we anticipate that on-site access will be severely limited and that we may only be able to accommodate 'mail-in' experiments.  If your proposal is successful and the experiment cannot be run via mail-in, we won't schedule your time until it is safe for you to travel to NIST to do your experiment.

The deadline for proposals is November 10, 2020.

For details, please see our Web pages: http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/call/current_call.html.

PROPOSAL SUBMISSION

*        To submit a proposal, you must have an account, or create one, on the Information Management System.  https://www-s.nist.gov/NCNR-IMS/login.do

*        The description of research section must be uploaded as a pdf file no longer than 3 letter-size pages (including references), nor more than 1500 kb in file size.

*        Please complete the Submit Visitor Registration Form if you submit a proposal and plan to subsequently visit NIST. https://www.ncnr.nist.gov/visitor/index.html

*        We encourage users to work with an appropriate instrument scientist when planning experiments and writing proposals.  They are happy to assist you and will also help you register and submit your proposal.

The CHRNS CANDOR instrument is now accepting proposals. Please read the disclaimer* before applying.

uSANS time can be obtained using the new checkbox on your SANS/vSANS proposal.

Instruments offered by the Center for High Resolution Neutron Scattering<https://www.nist.gov/ncnr/chrns>

  *   CHRNS White-Beam Reflectometer (CANDOR)* - 34 days
  *   CHRNS High-Flux Backscattering Spectrometer (HFBS) - 68 days
  *   CHRNS Neutron Spin-Echo Spectrometer (NSE) - 68 days
  *   CHRNS Multi-Axis Crystal Spectrometer (MACS) - 68 days
  *   CHRNS Very Small-Angle Neutron Scattering (vSANS) - 68 days

Additional instruments offered by NIST<https://www.nist.gov/ncnr/>

  *   Thermal Neutron Triple-Axis with Polarized Beam option (BT7)  -  68 days
  *   MAGIK Off-Specular Reflectometer (MAGIK) -  68 days
  *   Small Angle Neutron Scattering (SANS) with Polarized Beam option - 30 m (NG7) - 68 days
  *   Small Angle Neutron Scattering Instrument (SANS) - 30 m (NGB) - 27 days
  *   Disk-Chopper Spectrometer (DCS) - 27 days
  *   Powder Diffractometer (BT1) - 27 days

Yamali Hernandez

yamali at nist.gov<mailto:yamali at nist.gov>

(240) 888-8715

*The CHRNS "white"-beam reflectometer called CANDOR is being commissioned.  To allow us time to continue to improve its capabilities and reliability, we are offering 34 days instead of the standard 68 days.  By applying for CANDOR, you are agreeing to provide feedback so that we can ensure improved future performance.  Note that not all sample environments are currently available on CANDOR.  As this is changing quickly, please contact an instrument scientist for more details.