[Neutron] Job opportunity for Electromechanical Technician at European Spallation Source

Karin Vandenborre karin.vandenborre at ess.eu
Wed Jun 2 16:02:00 CEST 2021

The European Spallation Source, ESS, a partnership of European countries, is hiring motivated and inspired people to design, construct and operate the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in different fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe.

ESS can offer a variety of things, such as passionate and international colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging, exciting and high paced work environment. We value and need expertise, innovative minds and great ways of leading and interacting with people from all over the world.

Come and change the world with us!<https://api.kaltura.nordu.net/index.php/extwidget/preview/partner_id/335/uiconf_id/23450475/entry_id/0_norye2s0/embed/auto?&flashvars%5BstreamerType%5D=auto>

ESS is now looking for an Electromechanical Technician position organised within the Electrical Power Systems Group, part of the Accelerator Division in the Technical Directorate.

We offer a unique opportunity for career development in the field of electrical power supply systems for large big science facilities like ESS. The successful candidate will be integrated in a team formed by highly skilled experts in designing, building and testing prototypes of large power electronic systems at the frontier of what is currently most advanced worldwide. Several opportunities for on the job training and attendance to workshops or exhibitions will be offered on a regular basis. Opportunities for self-development can also be granted according to the interest of the individuals, within a good balance between innovative/challenging work and necessary daily regular work.

ESS pulsed superconducting linac will produce a 5 MW average power proton beam, driving the world´s most powerful neutron source. The Electrical Power Systems Group is in charge of designing, specifications, procurement, testing and later on operation as well as maintenance of the power supplies for the ESS accelerator Linac. This includes the High Voltage power supplies for the RF amplifiers (weighting up-to 12 tons each), the Radio Frequency Power Stations for the Spokes cavities and the low voltage power supplies for the magnets (about 300 units in total). The total installed power of these power systems will be in the order of 15MVA.

Job description
Your main area of responsibilities as an Electromechanical Technician, with support of the Electrical Power Systems team and Group leader, will be to:

  *   Provide support in the electromechanical construction setup of power supply prototypes, from power levels ranging from a few kW to several hundreds of kW;
  *   Installing the power components and controllers in the electrical cabinets or racks; Wiring the power cables inside the cabinets/racks and the signal cables for the controllers;
  *   Install the power supplies in their test stands and in their final location in the gallery;
  *   Keep the test stands organised and with appropriate tools, components, instruments, etc.;
  *   Provide support in measurements, testing and troubleshooting of power supplies and electrical apparatus;
  *   Execute simple mechanical works on the power supply cabinets, like metal drilling, cutting, threading, mechanical assembly of parts, etc.;

Qualifications
The successful candidate is required to have the following qualifications:

  *   Technician degree in electrical or electronics systems;
  *   At least 5 years of experience in electromechanical work including, but not limited to, tasks like placing components in electrical cabinets, wiring of power and signal cables, fitting connectors and terminations in cables;
  *   Knowledge in interpretation of electrical diagrams and of main components used in electrical construction;
  *   Knowledge of and experience in using tools required to perform electromechanical work in electrical cabinets;
  *   Previous experience in complying with electrical safety rules, regulations and good practice as well as having the appropriated mindset - safety first!;
  *   Good oral and written English skills;

Desirable experiences include:

Using simple hands on tools for electromechanical works like metal plate bending and cutting machines, drilling machines, etc.;
Basic knowledge of main components, instruments and equipment used within electrical/electronic circuits and their main functions;
Previous experience from high-voltage work environment;

We truly believe that you are a team player with a proactive attitude in helping the team and other colleagues achieving common goals. We are looking for a doer with a trouble shooting attitude, that is comfortable to rely upon, cooperate with and take instructions from colleagues.

At ESS we will have some possibility to provide you with training and mentoring with a focus on enlarging personal skills and knowledge.

Working outside normal working hours and on-call is to be expected according to ESS rules and the relevant regulations.

Duration & Location
The position is permanent with six months initial probationary period

Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.

The position is to be filled as soon as possible.

Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and personal letter in English by clicking on “apply” and follow the instructions.

Please note that we only accept applications via the ESS website.

For some roles at ESS health check-ups and security clearance are required, and thus this might be applicable in the final parts of the recruitment process.

The deadline for applications is 15/08/2021, due to the summer holidays the advertisement period is extended but we will continuously review applications so please submit your application at your earliest convenience.

For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.

For further information regarding the position, please contact the Recruiting Manager, Electrical Power Systems Group Leader, Carlos De Almeida Martins, Carlos.Martins at ess.eu

For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Karin Vandenborre, karin.vandenborre at ess.eu

For trade union information please contact Unionen / Conny Wendt at +46 46 888 34 63

or SACO / Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers/ Riccardo Bevilacqua at +46 46 888 32 28.

We look forward to receiving your application!

[signature_2126816390]

www.esss.se<http://www.esss.se/>