[Neutron] Postdoc position at ORNL
kean at ornl.gov
Tue Aug 17 17:02:06 CEST 2021
Can you post this postdoc ad for me?
Requisition Id 6099
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the operando neutron diffraction study of materials and structure in combustion engine by working in the Material and Engineering Science Initiative in the Neutron Scattering Science Division, Neutron Science Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and who will interact with researchers in the Energy Science and Technology Directorate at the National Transportation Research Center at ORNL.
The postdoctoral will work with a cross-cutting team of engineering neutron diffraction and combustion engineering staff on tasks below:
* Conduct operando neutron diffraction measurements on a running engine, including experimental setup, planning, and execution on VULCAN instrument at SNS.
* Develop data reduction and deconvolution routines for high time resolution time-of-flight diffraction.
* Produce data synchronization and visualization of complex and large datasets from the operando measurement.
* Analyze the micromechanical behavior of engineering alloys in a dynamic thermomechanical environment.
* Perform research on understanding the dynamic thermo-mechanical integrity of the engine structure.
* Publish scientific papers out of this research.
* Present results to sponsors, industrial partners, and at academic conferences.
* A PhD in materials science, mechanical engineering, physics or a related field completed within the last 5 years
* Knowledge of mechanical characterization of engineering materials.
* Experience in engineering neutron diffraction or synchrotron scattering techniques
* Experience with CAD design and finite element analysis
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
* Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron