[Neutron] Sample Environment position at ORNL
lynngw at ornl.gov
Mon Sep 13 19:25:56 CEST 2021
Sample Environment Scientific Associate - Low Temperature and Magnets
Apply now ><https://jobs.ornl.gov/talentcommunity/apply/779900600/?locale=en_US>
Date: Aug 18, 2021
Location: Oak Ridge, TN, US, 37830
Company: Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Requisition Id 6402
The sample environment group in the Neutron Sciences Directorate is seeking.....A Technical Professional with a broad skill-set which encompasses but is not limited to electro-mechanical ability, troubleshooting & operation of electronic equipment, automation & programming skills in LabView, C++, and/or industrial PLCs, MAGNET, and/or ANSYS for magnet design/analysis.
We are seeking individuals with integration background in hardware/software, strong troubleshooting ability, and computer literacy are needed in the Sample Environment group to assemble, install, troubleshoot, test, maintain, repair, and operate specialized laboratory equipment used to conduct scientific experiments at Oak Ridge National Lab Spallation Neutron Source Facility and HFIR Facility.
Such equipment includes cryogenic apparatus, vacuum systems, magnet systems, high temperature furnaces, gas flow systems, various experimental platforms or cells, and other unique sample environments as required.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with Electrical Engineering education background (or equivalent in other disciplines), previous experience in programming & electronics, sample environment systems, & user support. The successful candidate will possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and be comfortable interacting with a wide variety of coworkers, scientific staff and external scientific experimental Users.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
* Supports scientific leaders and users through the use of highly technical skills to assemble, install, troubleshoot, test and operate specialized laboratory equipment, including cryogenic apparatus, vacuum systems, magnet systems, high temperature furnaces, vacuum systems, gas flow systems, various experimental platforms or cells, and other unique sample environments.
* Leads automation efforts with the teams utilizing LabVIEW, PLC, & other programming platforms. Individual will be expected to lead the effort from conception, thru programming, fabrication & testing.
* Provides design and analysis input for high field magnet conceptual, stray field interactions, & specialty experiments with novel magnet experiments.
* Develops new designs, operating programs of equipment, test procedures, and work plans.
* Oversees inventory of appropriate tools, bulk hardware and spare parts.
* Provides documentation of Sample Environment Equipment including drawings, specifications, user manuals, operating procedures, wiring diagrams, process and instrumentation diagrams, schematics to ensure system integrity and configuration control.
* Ensure a safe, clean and efficient work environment that is in compliance with ESH&Q procedures and programs; Ensure lab space and work space meets and exceeds ORNL Safety Requirements.
* Promotes compliance with environmental, safety, health, and quality program requirements throughout the laboratory and industry.
* Performs equipment lifts using facility cranes.
* Documentation of work performed.
* Conducts facility walkthroughs while observing equipment operation, work practices, and work environments to help identify issues, problems, or improvements.
* Responds to User problems and issues, includes occasional occurrences during off-hours and weekends.
* BS Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Material or Computer Science
* 4 or more years of experience in laboratory or industrial settings
* Other science or technical degrees will be considered if experience demonstrates ability to perform core functions found in the Major Duties/Responsibilities.
* Must be able to perform hands-on work to troubleshoot, diagnose, and debug technical equipment and systems.
* Capable of responding to emergencies in a timely manner and utilize sound judgment in their reconciliation.
* Good interpersonal skills and a professional demeanor
* Ability to perform tasks which are moderately physically demanding, such as frequently climbing stairs, walking throughout a large facility, and occasionally lifting items weighing up to 30 pounds.
* Masters or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Material or Computer Science with applicable laboratory or industrial experience with software/hardware integration
* Magnet design & analysis using ANSYS, MAGNET or equivalent tools, PLCs, LabVIEW, & electronics design/fabrications.
* Preference will be given to applicants who have proven experience with automating laboratory equipment with computer control systems and/or with a history of patentable inventions, technical publications, or AI experience.
About Neutron Sciences Directorate:
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to http://neutrons.ornl.gov<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>.
Benefits at ORNL:
UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, and fitness facilities.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the "About" tab at https://jobs.ornl.gov<https://jobs.ornl.gov/>.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron