[Neutron] ORNL Neutron Sciences Job Posting: Group Leader, Neutron Instrument Development
turpinlm at ornl.gov
Thu Dec 9 00:21:53 CET 2021
Email a Friend: Group Leader, Neutron Instrument Development
Link to Apply<https://career-hcm20.ns2cloud.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=7199&company=utbattelleP>
Job Title: Group Leader, Neutron Instrument Development
Requisition ID#: 7199
We are looking for a Group Leader for the newly formed Instrument Development Group in the Neutron Technologies Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The mission of the Neutron Technologies Division is to develop and deploy critical technologies for neutron scattering instruments and target systems, to support their operation, and to execute projects in support of neutron sciences. The mission of the Instrument Development Group will be to develop new, state of the art neutron scattering instrument concepts and designs, for HFIR and SNS, and to support scientists and engineers at ORNL with neutron scattering instruments performance simulations.
The Group Leader will provide Research and Development (R&D) leadership for a newly formed group (with about 6 members) of research professionals who specialize in neutron scattering instrument design and technology. ORNL operates two neutron sources, HFIR (steady-state) and SNS (pulsed), and about 30 scattering instruments at these sources. At HFIR we are planning upgrades for the suite of cold instruments, and to build a new thermal guide hall with a new suite of world-leading, low-background instruments. At SNS we still have a few open beam ports available that need to be built out with instruments. Both facilities have a continuously running program of instrument upgrades. In the long term, both facilities will adjust their instrument suites with the advent of the SNS Second Target Station which is currently being designed. The role of the new group is to provide expertise with instrument designs and to support projects. The role of the new group leader is to provide leadership in the necessary research and a vision for optimized instrument suites at the three neutron sources that ORNL will ultimately operate.
The R&D Group Leader brings together a group of peers with the primary goal of pursuing global scientific leadership in their field, nurtures ORNL's culture among group members, and continues to build and scale-up individual excellence and impact in R&D. The R&D Group Leader reports to and works closely with the R&D Section Head to implement the group's scientific vision; develops group members to enable their career advancement; establishes capabilities that enable programs to excel at the forefront of science and technology; performs R&D to advance the field of knowledge and technology; sets, implements, and models standards for performance of work consistent with Environment, Safety, Security, Health, and Quality (ESH&Q) requirements and business rules; and ensures a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels safe, heard, and appreciated - a workplace that sets an example for the broader community.
This is a senior research position. The Group Leader is a scientist or engineer who is recognized as a leader in her/his area of technical expertise. The Group Leader initiates, leads, and performs independent R&D on an ongoing basis, and publishes in peer-reviewed journals.
* Develop a vision and implement a cohesive group research strategy to ensure the success of new and ongoing research projects to position the group for future success.
* Develop and implement plans to exploit new opportunities and/or expand existing efforts.
* Assist staff in setting performance goals consistent with the group's strategy and members' long-term career goals. Provide feedback to address performance issues in a timely manner.
* Provide relevant input to assist the R&D Section Head with staff development while providing direct and impactful guidance to staff on regular basis.
* Attract a quality, diverse pool of top candidates and hire staff members who are committed to world-class R&D and aspire to be the best in their field.
* Lead by example by exercising the principles in ORNL's "Research Code of Conduct" as a guide for proposing, performing, and communicating research. Our full code of conduct and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity.
* Coach and mentor staff regarding Battelle's "Safe Conduct of Research" principles.
* Lead ESH&Q by example and ensure all work is carried out safely, securely, and in compliance with ORNL policies, standards, and procedures.
* Exemplify a commitment to "One ORNL" by modeling lab expectations for excellence in research, operations, and community engagement, and by working cooperatively to leverage capabilities across the lab.
* Serve as immediate supervisor for staff members in the group.
* Encourage staff to "think and dream big," take appropriate risks in their work, and develop skills that will enable them to pursue new ideas, scientific passions, and research programs.
* Advance the reputation of the group members and standing of the group through establishing collaborations, Professional Society leadership and involvement, and organization of technical events.
* Support group members by consistently reviewing technical products such as proposals, publications, and artifacts to ensure high quality and consistency with ORNL standards.
* Build strong teams across ORNL.
* Connect staff to your scientific network and professional societies.
* Hold regular scientific/technical group meetings and be visible in the labs and workplace.
* Assume front-line responsibility for safety in the group's laboratory; mentor and empower the Laboratory Space Managers to create a strong safety culture.
* Effectively communicate the importance of protecting proprietary or sensitive information and complying with ORNL cybersecurity policies and guidelines.
* Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of laboratory values and ethics.
* Ensure and monitor compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements. Promptly identify ESH and QA issues and communicate them to project and division management, ESH and QA contacts, and/or subcontractor contacts as appropriate.
* To group staff, for the quality and safety of their work environment and opportunity for professional growth.
* To R&D section head, for world-leading science and technology directions, safe effective, and compliant operations, ownership of assigned staff, facilities, and equipment, and the quality of products and services.
* To customers, for the quality of the group's products and services.
* Develop a vision and implement a strategy to pursue world-leading science and technology directions for the R&D group.
* Hold staff accountable for performance.
* Act to ensure safe and effective operations.
* Certify the technical quality of the group's products and services.
* Requires a Ph.D. in engineering, or physics, with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience.
* Demonstrated experience in leading R&D teams.
* Demonstrated personal track record of high-impact publications.
* Demonstrated ability to manage teams of researchers to deliver world-leading research.
* Experience in writing successful R&D proposals to user facilities or government agencies.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with senior levels of client management and others involved in technical endeavors.
* Demonstrated ability to write research plans, technical reports to a sponsor, and proposals and to develop and execute on a vision for future research aligned with the group's core competency.
* A successful record of developing research partnerships and collaborative relationships with universities, industry, and research laboratories.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to work independently, outstanding written and oral communication skills, and good organizational skills.
* Ability to work and communicate effectively with teams of scientists, engineers, and technicians.
About Neutron Sciences Directorate:
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to http://neutrons.ornl.gov<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>.
Benefits at ORNL:
UT-Battelle offers a quality benefits package, including a matching 401(k), contributory pension plan, paid vacation, and medical/dental plan options. Onsite amenities include a credit union, medical clinic, cafeteria, coffee stands, and fitness facilities.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the "About" tab at https://jobs.ornl.gov<https://jobs.ornl.gov/>.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron