[Neutron] Neutron scattering instrument scientist position -triple axis spectroscopy group -ORNL
Fernandez-Baca, Jaime A.
fernandezbja at ornl.gov
Tue Feb 28 21:38:31 CET 2023
Triple-Axis Spectroscopy Instrument Scientist
(to apply click on this link Apply now »<https://jobs.ornl.gov/job/Oak-Ridge-Triple-Axis-Spectroscopy-Instrument-Scientist-TN-37830/997185400/> and follow the application link)
Date: Feb 24, 2023
Location: Oak Ridge, TN, US, 37830
Company: Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Requisition Id 10218
We are seeking a Neutron Scattering Instrument Scientist who will work as a team member within the suite of neutron triple axis spectrometers of the High Flux Isotope Reactor<https://neutrons.ornl.gov/hfir> (HFIR). The suite includes three thermal neutron triple axis spectrometers, one of which has full polarization analysis capabilities, and a cold neutron triple axis spectrometer.
These instruments support a diverse science community attracting scientists from all over the world conducting world-class research in physical, chemical and materials’ sciences. More details about the instruments and their scientific impact can be found at, https://neutrons.ornl.gov/fietax , https://neutrons.ornl.gov/ptax, https://neutrons.ornl.gov/tax , and https://neutrons.ornl.gov/ctax .
In this role you will support one of the triple axis spectrometers and be tasked with developing a leading scientific program focused on neutron scattering. You will also be championing developments on the instrument with sample environments, as well as the software, to maintain and further develop the instrument’s performance and to expand the user base.
A key component of your role is to ensure safe operation and user support of the beamlines. You will act as a local contact for users, including helping with experimental setup, data acquisition and data analysis. You will have the opportunity to work with users on a wide range of science topics covered by the instruments. It is expected that you pursue your own research program, focusing on neutron scattering capabilities.
This position resides in the Triple Axis Spectroscopy Group in the Spectroscopy Section, Neutron Scattering Division<https://neutrons.ornl.gov/nsd>, Neutron Sciences Directorate<https://neutrons.ornl.gov/> at Oak Ridge National Laboratory<https://www.ornl.gov/> (ORNL).
Successful candidates will be selected via a panel interview process. If this position is of interest to you and you meet the basic qualifications below, please apply.
* Pursue a high-quality personal research program using neutron scattering, build national, international collaborations, and publish research results in scientific journals.
* Assist users as a local contact for experimental setup and data acquisition, participate in user education as appropriate, and ensure users are provided with analyzable data when possible.
* Pursue developments in instrumentation, sample environment, and software to help maintain and further advance the performance of the instrument suite.
* Attract new users, both broadly and from areas related to your own research, to expand the user community and the impact of neutron scattering in the physical and chemical sciences.
* Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
* Ensure an inclusive work environment for a diverse community of users, staff, postdocs, and students.
* As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL's Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct and a statement by the Lab Director's office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity.
* A Ph.D. in Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science, or related field
* A minimum of 1 year of related experience (Applicants with additional years of experience are encouraged to apply and we will hire commensurate with years of experience.)
* A strong record of research demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences
* Previous research experience in fields such as condensed matter physics or energy materials
* Experience with neutron and/or X-ray spectroscopy
* Experience with neutron and/or X-ray diffraction
* Previous beamline support experience in a neutron or synchrotron X-ray user facility
* Demonstrated ability to work in a team that includes scientists and scientific/technical support personnel.
* Demonstrated ability to work with graduate students, post-doctoral researchers, and other research scientists from both academia and/or industry
Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position.
If you are selected for interview, you may be required to submit a minimum of 2 letters of recommendation.
About Neutron Sciences Directorate:
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States’ highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world’s most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to http://neutrons.ornl.gov<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Apply now »<https://jobs.ornl.gov/job/Oak-Ridge-Triple-Axis-Spectroscopy-Instrument-Scientist-TN-37830/997185400/>
Find similar jobs:
Research Jobs,<https://jobs.ornl.gov/go/Research-Jobs/4537200/> Neutron Sciences Jobs<https://jobs.ornl.gov/go/Neutron-Sciences-Jobs/4536900/>
For inquiries please contact Jaime Fernandez-Baca (jfn at ornl.gov)
Jaime Fernandez-Baca (he, him, his)
Leader, Triple Axis Group
Neutron Scattering Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron