Neutron v X-rays for Structure Solution

Ray Osborn ROsborn at anl.gov
Fri Sep 24 13:44:07 CDT 1999

The neutron scattering mailing list has been getting a few cross-postings in
a debate in the Rietveld Mailing List about the relative merits of neutron
and x-ray powder diffraction for structure solution.  This may have caused
some confusion since we were listening in to only part of the conversation.

Armel Le Bail has kindly pointed out that there is a web archive of the
Rietveld Mailing List at <http://www.mail-archive.com/rietveld_l@ill.fr/>.
As a non-crystallographer, I found the complete discussion to be well-argued
and informative so I recommend that you check it out if you've been
tantalized by the snippets you've seen.

Ray Osborn
--
Dr Ray Osborn                Tel: +1 (630) 252-9011
Materials Science Division   Fax: +1 (630) 252-7777
Argonne National Laboratory  E-mail: ROsborn at anl.gov
Argonne, IL 60439-4845