[Neutron] ORNL: Division Director, Biology and Soft Matter-NB50469141
Levesque, Cerissa J.
levesquecj at ornl.gov
Thu Jan 8 18:19:17 CET 2015
Job Posting Title
Division Director, Biology and Soft Matter-NB50469141
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together, these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering research. Each year, these facilities carry out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>
We are seeking a division director that has line management responsibility for the Biology and Soft Matter Division (BSMD), and reports to the Associate Laboratory Director (ALD) for Neutron Sciences.
The division director will be expected to have continuous engagement with the scientific community that will define the compelling scientific questions driving the development of our neutron facilities. The division director will be expected to integrate with other related experimental, theoretical, and computational research efforts at ORNL and worldwide to foster a multi-disciplinary approach to neutron science.
* Provides line management functions including supervision of technical group leaders, budget preparation, salary planning, staffing, employee relations, and performance management.
* Obtains and manages technical resources in support of the Neutron Science program, including support as appropriate for neutron scattering instrument operations.
* Plans for, selects, and develops a team of scientists, engineers, technicians, and administrative staff for instruments, operations and scientific programs.
* As a scientific division director, is expected to continue to be engaged in current science.
* Participates in development of the user program and community, and as appropriate coordinates user communications/interactions either directly or in conjunction with the user office.
* Develops the annual BSMD business plan, goals and management system descriptions for the review and approval by the
* Provides performance assurance: track and report on division-level performance metrics.
* Assumes the responsibilities of ALD in his/her absence as requested.
* Represents Neutron Sciences before review committees, advisory committees, and visitors; and at conferences, workshops, invited talks/lectures, and technical meetings.
* Serves as member of external review teams, editorial boards, advisory committees, and/or conference organizing
* Provides scientific tours of facilities for dignitaries and other special groups on behalf of the NScD ALD.
* Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics in the work environment.
The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or other related scientific field with 10 or more years of relevant experience. Must have 5 or more years of experience successfully managing scientific professionals. The candidate must have recognized leadership in neutron scattering science as evidenced by participation and membership on editorial boards, national and international committees, peer review boards, and/or advisory committees. Knowledge of Biological and/or Soft Matter sciences is required. A strong record of publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals is required. Demonstrated achievements in promoting collaborative relationships and building research teams required.
* The ability to work effectively with a range of researchers and programs in basic sciences as well as applied science and technology.
* Previous experience in integrating theory and computational sciences with experimental research.
* Previous beamline support experience in a neutron or synchrotron x-ray facility.
* Previous DOE experience in a large user facility.
Work Directions and Interfaces
This position will report to the NScD Associate Laboratory Director. Functions as a member of the NScD Executive Management Team. Collaborates with science programs in the Quantum Condensed Matter, Chemistry and Engineering Materials, and Neutron Data Analysis and Visualization Divisions. Interfaces with Research Accelerator, Research Reactor and Instrument and Source Division Directors, partner laboratories, Department of Energy (DOE) HQ, Oak Ridge Operations, and the Joint Institute for Neutron Sciences (JINS). Coordinates SNS instrumentation and research with ORNL research programs.
Provides work direction to group leaders within BSMD. Interfaces effectively with line management organizations responsible for team leads, scientific associates, technicians, work coordinators, technical professional and technical support personnel within guidelines established by the respective division directors. Coordinates job assignments, leave, travel of individuals under his/her authority, and authorizes equipment procurements within BSMD.
Measures of Effectiveness
* Key positions are filled by quality staff that are motivated and retained. Commitment to diversity is demonstrated.
* Scientific impact of instruments and programs are recognized by stakeholders and the international scientific community
(e.g., number and quality of users and number of publications).
* Instrument development and commissioning plan is completed, reviewed, and maintained.
* User program is continually developed, broadening the application and impact of neutron sciences across a range of disciplines.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov.<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>
Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron