[Neutron] PhD-position 2018: A novel neutronics model of the solid D2 ultracold neutron converter at PSI aiming for increasing the source intensity

Geza Zsigmond geza.zsigmond at psi.ch
Thu Apr 12 11:05:43 CEST 2018

Job headline:
PhD-position 2018, Ultracold Neutron Physics Group, Laboratory of
Particle Physics, Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI)

Job Title:
A novel neutronics model of the solid D2 ultracold neutron converter at
PSI aiming for increasing the source intensity

Employer:
Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI)

Location:
CH-5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland

Introduction:
Fundamental physics experiments with ultracold neutrons (UCN) are
limited by neutron counting statistics. New developments to increase UCN
intensities would push the limits of our knowledge further, e.g. on the
not-yet understood asymmetry observed between matter and antimatter in
our Universe, on the production of light elements after the Big Bang,
and on important parameters of the Standard Model of particle
physics.    The strategy for the next generation n2EDM experiment based
at PSI in Switzerland is to increase UCN statistics by a larger
precession chamber volume, and by enhancing the PSI UCN source output
several factors due to an improved control of the material structure of
the solid deuterium (sD2) converter.

Description of Institution:
The Laboratory of Particle Physics (LTP) at the Paul Scherrer Institute
pursues fundamental research, addressing the most up to date questions
in modern physics. Together with researchers from Switzerland and
abroad, we use the world's most intensive sources for low-energy muons,
pions and ultracold neutrons at PSI.

Job description:
The main strategy in this PhD work is exploiting material structure
information from the UCN energy spectra extracted from the sD2
converter, including the time evolution of the sD2 at around 5 K, and
implementing this into neutron scattering kernels for the simulation of
the UCN output matching all experimental observations.
The expected result of this project is improving the modeling
capabilities of converter materials to enhance the PSI UCN source output
especially for the n2EDM project, and the output of UCN sources in
general for fundamental physics experiments. A novel neutronics
simulation model linking consistently all neutron observations from the
sD2 converter operation and dedicated test experiments would help in our
optimization strategy to increase the UCN output.
We offer a 48 months position for a PhD student with starting date 1
September 2018. The academic supervisor will be Prof. Klaus Kirch from
ETHZ/PSI. The PhD student will work in a very active expert environment
in experimental neutron physics involving the UCN physics group and the
neutronics simulation group at PSI.

Requested Profile:
University degree in physics with strong background in mathematical,
numerical and experimental methods, advanced programming skills, a
creative personality focused on problem-solving, excellent communication
skills in English.

Contact:
Name     Dr Geza Zsigmond
e-mail     geza.zsigmond at psi.ch
Website    https://www.psi.ch/ltp-ucn-physics

How to Apply:
Please submit per e-mail: 1. letter of application, 2. CV, 3. academic
record, 4. transcript of records, 5. reference contacts

Deadline for applying:
15. June 2018