[Neutron] ORNL / Neutron Sciences Job Posting: Mechanical Engineer - Superconducting Linac Systems / NB50662831
Johnson, Nicia R.
johnsonnr at ornl.gov
Thu Apr 12 15:48:36 CEST 2018
Job Posting Title
Mechanical Engineer - Superconducting Linac Systems
End Posting Date
Oak Ridge, Tennessee (Greater Knoxville, TN area)
* A generous relocation benefit is provided
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION: All applicants must go to the ORNL Career site to create a personal profile and then apply to this specific opening.
Just search for NB50662831 in the search box and follow the prompts and instructions to apply.
Link to ORNL Careers: https://www.ornl.gov/careers
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL please visit: http://neutrons.ornl.gov<http://neutrons.ornl.gov/>
The Superconducting Linac (SCL) Systems Group Engineer (Technical Professional) will lead, supervise or support the SCL Systems group's efforts within the SCL Systems Group in the Research Accelerator Division. The group is responsible for safe, reliable and cost effective operation, maintenance, and improvement of the cryomodules, cryogenic plant, and cryogenic distribution systems that comprise the SNS superconducting linear accelerator; for design, construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of SRF/Cryogenic test facilities at SNS; for research, engineering and development of SRF/Cryogenic parts or systems for the SNS machine upgrade or in collaboration with partners; for system engineering associated with the helium components of the cryogenic moderator system that supports the SNS neutron production target; and for providing cryogenic engineering and design efforts in support of other cryogenic systems that may be installed at the SNS facility.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
* Assist with PPU cavity and fundamental power coupler procurement
* Act as technical liason with critical PPU vendors to ensure quality within budget and schedule restraints
* Participate in vendor and partner lab qualification for PPU deliverables
* Serve as the deputy to the PPU SCL Cavities level III manager
* Participate in qualification and processing of fundamental power couplers
* Travel to vendor and partner laboratory to ensure quality is maintained throughout the cryomodule fabrication effort for PPU
* Leads or participates in design, development, construction, and operation of SNS SRF/cryogenics/Cryomodule systems.
* Direct technicians/crafts for successful component fabrication, assembly, and installation.
* Review and approve SCL Systems Group procedures and engineering drawings.
* Mentors or cross-train other staff members to enrich the body of knowledge within the SCL Systems Group.
* Performs training and safety presentations.
* Assembles, tests, certifies, and documents SNS linac cryogenic/cryomodule components
* Observe, document, and communicate designs, methods, materials, and equipment required for the operations, assembly, and development processes.
* Sets up and operates process and test equipment and apparatus
* Ensures compliance with ESH and quality procedures and programs. May participate in the development and communication of safety and quality procedures
* Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of laboratory values and ethics.
* BS degree in mechanical technology or related technical field
* 10 or more years of relevant experience
* An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
* Experience with superconducting cavity processing methods, cryomodule fabrication and assembly, cryogenics, high-vacuum systems and cleanroom techniques
* Demonstrated ability to work with a team of scientists, engineers, technicians and trades/crafts desired. * Excellent written and verbal communications skills
* Willing to learn new skills and train others
* Experience working in a clean production environment
* Experience using mechanical and electronic test and measurement equipment
Work Directions and Interfaces
* Reports to the PPU SCL Level II Manager
* Interfaces with SCL Systems Group members, SNS and ORNL staffs, and professional peers at other institutes
* Keeps strong commitment to team environment dynamics
* Approve PPU SCL Systems Group procedures and engineering drawings.
* Provides work directions/guidance to engineers, technicians, subcontractors, and vendors within guidelines established by the PPU SCL Level II Manager. Initiates procurement of materials and services.
Measures of Effectiveness
* Success in the fulfillment of all major duties and responsibility.
* Success as measured by the ORNL Employee Performance Management process.
* Successfully provides leadership and guidance to technicians and craft resources.
* Successfully creates a work safe environment that complies with SNS ESH&Q programs.
* Successfully performs assigned tasks within schedules.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory offers an exceptional benefits package to include a generous relocation, matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and medical / dental plan.
Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free fitness facilities.
Visit https://www.ornl.gov/careers to apply direct to this and other Neutron Sciences jobs.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email Steve Cherry at cherrysj at ornl.gov<mailto:cherrysj at ornl.gov>
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron