[Neutron] Last reminder: CHRNS/NCNR Call For Proposals

Hernandez, Yamali (Fed) yamali.hernandez at nist.gov
Fri Jul 6 19:19:51 CEST 2018

CALL FOR PROPOSALS[https://www.ncnr.nist.gov/images/chrns_logo.gif]located at NIST

You are invited to apply for time on the neutron beam instruments at the Center for High Resolution Neutron Scattering<http://www.nist.gov/ncnr/chrns> located at the NIST Center for Neutron Research.

The deadline for proposals is July 11th, 2018.

For details, please see our Web pages: http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/call/current_call.html.

PROPOSAL SUBMISSION

  *   To submit a proposal, you must have an account, or create one, on the Information Management System. https://www-s.nist.gov/NCNR-IMS/login.do
  *   The description of research section must be uploaded as a pdf file no longer than 3 letter-size pages (including references), nor more than 1500 kb in file size.
  *   Please complete the Submit Visitor Registration Form if you submit a proposal and plan to subsequently visit NIST. https://www.ncnr.nist.gov/visitor/index.html
  *   We encourage users to work with an appropriate instrument scientist when planning experiments and writing proposals. They are happy to assist you and will also help you register and submit your proposal.
The new CHRNS vSANS* instrument is now accepting proposals. Please read the disclaimer near the bottom before applying for beamtime.

Instruments being offered by the Center for High Resolution Neutron Scattering<http://www.nist.gov/ncnr/chrns>

  *   CHRNS Small Angle Neutron Scattering Instrument - 30 m (SANS)
  *   CHRNS Ultra-Small Angle Neutron Scattering Instrument (uSANS)
  *   CHRNS High-Flux Backscattering Spectrometer (HFBS)
  *   CHRNS Neutron Spin-Echo Spectrometer (NSE)
  *   CHRNS Multi-Axis Crystal Spectrometer (MACS)
  *   CHRNS Very Small-Angle Neutron Scattering (vSANS)*

Additional instruments offered by NIST<http://www.nist.gov/ncnr/>

  *   Thermal Neutron Triple-Axis with Polarized Beam option (BT7)
  *   Disk-Chopper Spectrometer (DCS)
  *   MAGIK Off-Specular Reflectometer (MAGIK)
  *   Polarized Beam Reflectometer (PBR)
  *   Small Angle Neutron Scattering with Polarized Beam option (SANS) - 30 m (NG7)
  *   Neutron Imaging Facility (NIF)
  *   Powder Diffractometer (BT1)

Yamali Hernandez
yamali at nist.gov<mailto:yamali at nist.gov>
(301) 975-5295

*The CHRNS vSANS instrument is currently being commissioned. This means that it is not fully functional and we are still testing features. In this proposal round, we are offering 60 days instead of the eventual 90 days so that sufficient time is available to complete the commissioning and solve problems as they are found. By applying for this time, you are agreeing to help with commissioning by providing feedback so that we can ensure reliable service in the future. All the instrument's eventual capabilities may not be available. For example, we are working to resolve background issues with the high-resolution detector which is used to reach the lowest minimum Q. However, CHRNS vSANS has 2 position-sensitive 3He detectors each with about 2.5 times the area of our current detectors allowing a wider Q-range in a single measurement. There are also 3 options for wavelength spread: 1% (λ = 0.475 nm), 13% (variable λ using a velocity selector), and 35% (λ ≈ 0.5 nm). Most SANS sample environments are available. Within these constraints, we intend for you to get publishable data and we won't schedule approved beamtime until we believe that this is likely.