[Neutron] ORNL / Neutron Sciences Job Posting: Nuclear Fabrication / Systems Engineer / NB50677621
Johnson, Nicia R.
johnsonnr at ornl.gov
Mon Jul 23 15:25:41 CEST 2018
Job Posting Title
Nuclear Fabrication / Systems Engineer / NB50677621
End Posting Date
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor-based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator-based neutron source. Together, these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron
scattering research. Each year, these facilities carry out more than 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials,
biological and medical sciences for more than 3,000 visiting scientists. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope
production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.
The Systems Engineering (SE) group within the Research Reactors Division (RRD) is looking for a highly motivated
individual to join the SE team. The primary responsibility of the SE group is to maintain the HFIR configuration management
program, provide technical support to operations and maintenance, and perform systems analysis. This position will be
responsible for the Mechanical Engineering role in the SE group which performs design engineering and supports
manufacturing and fabrication of reactor core components, fuel elements, control rods and plates, etc. This position will also
be responsible for maintaining overall cognizance of assigned HFIR structures, systems, and components (SSCs) and
providing systems engineering support for operations and maintenance.
* Prepares engineering designs for new installations and for replacement and upgrade of HFIR structures, systems, and
* Performs calculations and analyses to support design basis and requirements
* Applies relevant codes and standards, such as ASTM, ASME, AWS, GD&T, QS9000, ISO14001, etc.
* Supports development of reactor core components replacement plan.
* Prepares design specifications to define and determine acceptance criteria for component upgrades.
* Prepares material specifications and provides technical support in procurement of materials.
* Project leads fabrication, machining, and assembly of reactor core components, experiments, special tooling, etc. in
accordance with HFIR specifications.
* Implements modifications in accordance with RRD configuration control processes.
* Prepares and maintains as-built documentation for assigned HFIR SSCs, including engineering drawings, specifications,
system descriptions, relevant databases and labeling.
*Provides project management for installation of mechanical design changes.
* Troubleshoots and analyzes system and component failures and develops corrective actions.
* Provides written work package instructions to perform and document work.
* Provides field technical supports to maintenance engineers, craft supervisors and crafts.
* Develops and implements preventive and predictive maintenance work instructions.
* Performs operability assessments to determine equipment impact on HFIR operation.
* Assists in the investigation of reportable occurrences or operating events and in the preparation of associated reports and
root cause determinations
* Analyzes and trends results of preventive and predictive maintenance data.
* Analyzes equipment performance history.
* Performs overall systems health evaluation in accordance with RRD's Systems Engineering and Reliability Programs, which
involves the following:
- System Health Indicators
- Identification of new and status of existing equipment/component vulnerabilities
- HFIR 3-Year Planning Activities
- Identification of Spare Parts deficiencies and single point vulnerabilities
- Walk-Downs to Assess System Configuration and Material Condition
- Evaluation of surveillance test results
Physical requirements for this job may include frequent walking and walking for long distances. Other work environment
requirements may include climbing of stairs, ducking, kneeling or crawling around equipment and facilities. Exposure to
ionization radiation normally associated with operation of neutron scattering instruments for scientific research is also
* Bachelor's degree in engineering with nuclear / mechanical emphasis
* 8 or more years of experience in mechanical / manufacturing engineering
* Excellent understanding of machining and fabrication practice including welding and joining techniques combined with a
sound understanding of machine design.
* A strong understanding of reading and interpreting mechanical design drawings is required as well as understanding of
GD&T principles from ANSI Y14.5.
Ability to diagnose mechanical equipment problems and develop formal work package instructions for performance and
documentation of repairs.
Experience in project management, leading maintenance tasks, procedure development, procurement of materials and
Strong verbal and written communication skills, good interpersonal skills, and work well as a team member.
DOE Security Clearance: This position requires the candidate to have or be able to obtain a "Q" clearance.
* Experience in operation and troubleshooting of CNC lathes, precision OD grinding, forging, welding, rolling mills, and heat
* Knowledgeable in the fundamentals of powder metallurgy principles.
* An understanding of basic principles of material behavior in nuclear reactors is desirable
* Familiarity with mechanical design and maintenance activities in a nuclear reactor operating environment.
* Familiarity with the regulatory programs which define the HFIR work environment, including DOE Orders pertaining to
conduct of operation and maintenance, and understanding of OSHA requirements is a plus.
Additional Requirements of this job:
* This position is a Workplace Substance Abuse Program (WSAP) testing designated position which requires passing a
pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program in which employees are subject to
being randomly selected for testing and undergoing testing without advance notification. The occupant of this position will
also be subject to an ongoing requirement to report any drug related arrest or conviction or receipt of a positive drug test
result to the Company.
Work Directions and Interfaces
Reports to the Mechanical Systems Engineering Team Lead. Interacts with personnel at all levels within the HFIR.
May provide work instruction/guidance to technicians and craft personnel.
Measures of Effectiveness
* Successfully manages procurement and fabrication of reactor internal components.
* Successfully ensures that procurements follow the RRD QA plan and Systems Engineering Fabrication Control procedure.
* Successfully records and reports technical findings to RRD management and review committees.
* Successfully creates an environment in which individuals within the group can meet RRD/ORNL environmental, safety,
health and quality requirements; and successful enforcement of these requirements
* Demonstrates technical competence.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron