[Neutron] ORNL / Neutron Sciences Job Posting: Postdoctoral Research Associate - Accelerator Physicist
Johnson, Nicia R.
johnsonnr at ornl.gov
Tue Nov 27 16:39:18 CET 2018
Job Title: Postdoctoral Research Associate - Accelerator Physicist
Requisition Id 280
Band Level: Postdoctoral Research Associate
Relocation: Domestic and International Relocation Assistance is available for this position
The Beam Science and Technology Group is seeking a strong physicist to maintain and develop the intellectual understanding of the SNS accelerator beam, required to sustain stable beam operations and to increase beam power while minimizing beam loss. This is an exciting opportunity to utilize the SNS accelerator to further the understanding of high intensity beam physics. In this role you will perform research on topics including (but not limited to) beam dynamics in the normal and the superconducting parts of the SNS linac, the SNS accumulator ring and transport lines, and the Beam Test Facility (BTF). You will conceive and pursue beam-based experiments, and develop analytical and computer models to simulate and understand beam effects. You will actively participate in the team's activities and interface with other accelerator physics team members, with the Beam Instrumentation Team, and with the Controls and Operations Groups.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
* Develops beam simulation models or tools to help understand high intensity beam physics.
* Diagnose and remedy machine and beam dynamics issues that are not understood.
* Develop lines of inquiry to understand or improve aspects of the SNS accelerator beam.
* Develop beam study plans, and participate in shifts to pursue the general lines of inquiry.
* Participate in scientific conferences, workshops, meetings and publishes results in the form of SNS technical notes and memos, workshop and conference proceedings, and scientific journals.
* Participate with other team members in developing goals, resource plans, and policies for the Team and the Group.
* Assist team leader in coordinating the work of graduate students in the team.
* Ensures compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements including ISMS.
* The SNS and HFIR facilities are in operation 24 hours per day and 7 days a week year round. You may be occasionally required to support users and/or facilities during off hours or weekends.
* PhD degree in accelerator physics or a related science or mathematical discipline
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Your PhD should be completed within 5 years of your applcation date
* Strong mathematical and programming (Java + Python) skills
* Experience working in a control room, conducting accelerator-based experiments, and performing accelerator simulations
* Demonstrated ability to communicate research results in peer-reviewed publications
* Appointments will initially be for 24 months with a possibility of an extension of up to 12 months
* Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and availability of funding
* Please provide a list of publications when applying for this position
* If you are selected for interview, you will be required to send in a minimum of 2 letters of reference
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron