[Neutron] Data Curation Scientist

Karin Vandenborre karin.vandenborre at ess.eu
Mon Jun 29 17:00:06 CEST 2020

The Science Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) invites applications for a Data Curation Scientist position in the Data Management and Software Centre in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Description of division
The Data Management and Software Centre (DMSC), part of the ESS Science Directorate, is responsible for the design, development and construction of the computer software and hardware to be used for the operation and data analysis of the experiments to be carried out on the neutron scattering and imaging instruments to be constructed at ESS. DMSC performs work at both the ESS offices in Lund, Sweden and at the main DMSC offices in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Description of main responsibilities
The Scientific Web Applications team delivers critical software that enables neutron scattering experiments at the ESS. One aspect of that is to provide the data catalogue and automatic processing capabilities that enable visiting scientist to effectively make use of their scattering data.

The task for this position is to participate in the development of a data curation (data cataloguing) system that captures metadata about raw and processed experimental data and makes that information available to scientists in a form that is useful to them in their domain of expertise.

The system is developed using Angular, Node and MongoDB, the project is open source and can be found on GitHub(https://github.com/SciCatProject/). The development happens in a collaborative environment with international partners.

In particular, the role is to:

  *   Develop software for ESS scientific operations
  *   Coordinate with international partners
  *   Gather requirements from instrument scientists
  *   Work with EU projects such as PaNOSC to enable FAIR and open data

The role is both suitable for candidates from a scientific background intending to move into a more software focused career as well as for trained software developers with an interest in science.

Qualifications

To be successful in this position the candidate should have:

  *   M.S. in Computer Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics, etc. or equivalent work experience
  *   Experience with two or more of the following technical or scientific areas:
     *   Web technologies and frameworks
     *   Databases Message brokers
     *   GNU/Linux based operating systems
     *   Automatic testing and deployment infrastructures
     *   Data Management for experimental raw and derived data Metadata ontologies for experimental data
     *   Persistent identifiers (DOIs, PIDs)
  *   Experience of working in an international environment is advantage.
  *   Excellent oral and written English skills are a prerequisite.

Our work environment is characterized by fast growth, fast pace of work, and an international atmosphere with highly skilled personnel. You must therefore enjoy the diversity of such an environment and have a personality suited for the challenges it presents. Our work environment is exciting and forward thinking and relies heavily on personal initiative.

What ESS can offer
ESS can offer you a variety of things, such as passionate colleagues and a challenging and high paced work environment where our employees take great pride in designing and building a world leading facility for materials research.

If you were to join ESS, you would become an important piece of the puzzle, since all our skilled staff are needed in order to fulfill the overall mission. We value and need expertise, innovative minds, great ways of leading and interacting with others, and the ability to work with people regardless of culture and background.

Duration & Location
The position is permanent with three months initial probationary period

Your work place will be situated in Copenhagen, Denmark.

The position is to be filled as soon as possible.

Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae in English by clicking on “apply” and follow the instructions. Please note that we only accept applications via the ESS website.

The deadline for applications is 2020-08-16

For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.

For further information regarding the position, please contact the Recruiting Manager, Fredrik Bolmsten, Section Leader for Scientific Web Applications, Fredrik.Bolmsten at ess.eu.

For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Karin Vandenborre at karin.vandenborre at ess.eu

We look forward to receiving your application!

[cid:image001.png at 01D39C3E.C52E7D20]

www.esss.se<http://www.esss.se/>