[Neutron] Job Opening at SNS | Section Head, Beamline Operations
kimlb at ornl.gov
Thu Feb 2 20:44:41 CET 2023
Please Apply Here: https://jobs.ornl.gov/job-invite/9984/<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fjobs.ornl.gov%2Fjob-invite%2F9984%2F&data=05%7C01%7Ckimlb%40ornl.gov%7C2587669d00f74c0f571608db05326c3d%7Cdb3dbd434c4b45449f8a0553f9f5f25e%7C1%7C0%7C638109486369593170%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=aHMREpRdMWSHMvYdnJulT1eeMXt5M36z%2BapVHn3tjtA%3D&reserved=0>
We are seeking a Section Head for the Spallation Neutron Source <https://neutrons.ornl.gov/sns> (SNS) Beamline Operations section in the Neutron Scattering Division <https://neutrons.ornl.gov/nsd> (NSD) of the Neutron Sciences Directorate <https://neutrons.ornl.gov/> (NScD). The SNS Beamline Operations section supports scattering experiments and instruments at SNS, assures safe and reliable operations, and supports 24/7 technical and logistical support for the neutron scattering instruments at SNS and the High Flux Isotope Reactor <https://neutrons.ornl.gov/hfir> (HFIR). SNS and HFIR are neutron facilities operated by NScD on behalf of the U.S. Department of Energy (see neutrons.ornl.gov). Within NScD, NSD’s mission is to develop world-class neutron scattering methods, approaches, and instrumentation, lead and support a vibrant user program, and perform cutting-edge scientific research that benefits from and contributes to these advances.
The SNS Beamline Operations Section consists of three groups. Two SNS Science Support groups, consisting of Scientific Associates, providing direct technical support as integral part of the instrument teams for each of the SNS beamlines. The SNS Operations Support Group provides technical support for the operation of the SNS beamlines, interfaces with crafts, maintains and reliably operates the neutron choppers, and includes the team of Instrument Hall Coordinators who provide around-the-clock technical and logistical support for the neutron scattering instruments at both SNS and HFIR.
As Section Head, you will provide technical leadership to the members of the section, work with the Group Leaders to establish and implement technical and operational priorities and collaborate with the other Section Heads as member of the Division’s leadership team.
* Work closely with the Division Director and Group Leaders within the section to develop a vision and implement a strategy to maintain the highest standards in the support of the neutron research and user programs at SNS and HFIR and pursue world-leading operations and/or technology directions for the section. Demonstrate cross-functional team leadership.
* Closely interact with the other Section Heads within NSD to coordinate priorities and strengthen the entire division.
* Support the Division Director in the operations of the division and represent Director when Director is not available.
* Work with section Group Leaders to establish, communicate, and measure critical metrics for success and impact. Ensure that staff manage their projects effectively to deliver results on scope, schedule, and budget while meeting technical and business expectations
* Work with the Group Leaders and the Division Director to set career goals, support internal and external recognition of staff achievements, assess staff performance across the section, develop and implement Succession Planning, drive staff promotions, and address all concerns expressed by staff.
* Ensure groups are recruiting and hiring from a diverse pool of top candidates who are committed to world-class technical capabilities and aspire to be the best in their field.
* Ensure all work is carried out safely, securely, and in compliance with ORNL policies, standards, and procedures.
* Foster an inclusive and productive work environment for a diverse community of technical as well as scientific staff, users, postdocs, and students.
* A Ph.D. with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience or equivalent education and experience (M.S. with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience or a B.S. with 12 years of relevant experience)
* Demonstrated experience in leading technical teams
* Demonstrated experience in coordinating operational activities at a large-scale user facility, and experience in working within the constraints of radiological environments.
* This position requires successful completion of required training, including radiological training. To be completed after hire.
Letters of Recommendation: Letters may be requested as part of the recruiting and interviewing process.
Requisition Id: 9984
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Talent Acquisition Partner
Neutron Sciences Directorate
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Managed by UT-Battelle for the U.S. Department of Energy
kimlb at ornl.gov<mailto:kimlb at ornl.gov>
Take a virtual tour<https://www.ornl.gov/content/virtual-tours> of ORNL.
Join our Talent Community<http://jobs.ornl.gov/> to be notified of new positions.
Learn more about the Knoxville<https://www.visitknoxville.com/> and Oak Ridge<http://exploreoakridge.com/> areas.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Neutron