[Neutron] ORNL: Instrumentation and Controls Engineering Technologist / NB50574021

Davidson, Lauren D. davidsonld at ornl.gov
Fri Jun 10 23:32:54 CEST 2016

ORNL Publications
External Publication

Job Posting Title
Instrumentation and Controls Engineering Technologist / NB50574021

Posted Date
06/10/2016

End Posting Date
06/24/2016

Purpose
The Neutron Sciences Directorate (NScD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates the High Flux Isotope Reactor
(HFIR), the United States' highest flux reactor based neutron source, and the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), the world's
most intense pulsed accelerator based neutron source. Together these facilities operate 30 instruments for neutron scattering
research, each year carrying out in excess of 1,000 experiments in the physical, chemical, materials, biological and medical
sciences. HFIR also provides unique facilities for isotope production and neutron irradiation. To learn more about Neutron
Sciences at ORNL go to: http://neutrons.ornl.gov.

The Instrumentation and Controls (I&C) Engineering Technologist supports the I&C Craft Supervisor by aiding in work
coordination, providing necessary technical support, and overseeing special projects.

Major Duties/Responsibilities
* Technical Support
- Supports inspection, testing, adjustments, and repair of electronic and pneumatic instruments and systems at the HFIR.
- Helps to analyze and evaluate technical problems associated with instrument systems as well as to develop
methodologies for problem resolution.
- Aids in providing on-the-job training for instrument technicians assigned to RRD.
* Work Planning and Support
- Ensures adequacy of I&C spare parts and spare instrument inventory.
- Assists in determination of material specifications submits requisitions as required.
- Enters job information and calibration data into computer-automated systems and verifies the accuracy of information
entered by others.
- Verifies the accuracy of work instructions, calibration data, and other maintenance documentation.
- Serves as Maintenance liaison between RRD I&C Maintenance Supervisor and System Engineering concerning potential
modifications to instrument systems at the HFIR.
* Serves as the RRD I&C Maintenance Supervisor when the supervisor is not available

Qualifications Required
An Associate's Degree in a technical field and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of
education and experience is required.
A working knowledge of accomplishing field maintenance activities on nuclear plant systems and equipment required.
Candidate must have good interpersonal skills, computer skills, and organizational skills.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy.
This position is a Workplace Substance Abuse Program (WSAP) testing designated position which requires passing a
pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program in which employees are subject to
being randomly selected for testing and undergoing testing without advance notification. The occupant of this position will
also be subject to an ongoing requirement to report any drug related arrest or conviction or receipt of a positive drug test
result to the Company.

Qualifications Desired
An Associate's or Bachelor's degree and 7+ years of relevant experience preferred.
Experience working in a nuclear reactor environment in the field of instrumentation and controls is strongly preferred.
Project management experience, previous HFIR work experience, as well as familiarity with labor relations principles and the
ATLC contract, are desirable.

Work Directions and Interfaces
The I&C Engineering Technologist will report to the I&C Maintenance Supervisor of the HFIR Maintenance Group. Interfaces
exist throughout Research Reactors Division, especially with Reactor Operations, and with other divisions. The I&C
Engineering Technologist must manage these relationships to ensure that all stakeholder interests are understood and that
outcomes are aligned with HFIR Maintenance objectives.

Measures of Effectiveness
Nuclear Safety Performance (Application of nuclear safety principles; no reportable events)
Personnel Safety Performance (Utilize safe work practices; no reportable events)
I&C Team Effectiveness (Parts availability, smooth work flow, consistent maintenance outcomes)
Reactor Reliability (High Predictability and Availability)

This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or
hired.

We accept Word(.doc, .docx), Excel(.xls, .xlsx), PowerPoint(.ppt, .pptx), Adobe(.pdf), Rich Text Format(.rtf), HTML(.htm,
.hmtl) and text files(.txt) up to 2MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be
deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.

If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov<mailto:ORNLRecruiting at ornl.gov>.

Notice: If the position requires a Security Clearance, reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10
CFR 707.4 will be conducted by the employer and a background investigation by the Federal government may be required
to obtain an access authorization prior to employment and subsequent reinvestigations may be required.
If the position is covered by the Counterintelligence Evaluation Program regulations at 10 CFR 709, a counterintelligence
evaluation may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination.

ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify Employer.